Thinking about ditching the iPhone...HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gumball981, Jun 13, 2009.

1. gumball981 macrumors member

Alright so here's the situation. I dropped VZW December of '08 to turn to the iPhone. Wow! What a great phone this is! I've loved it since then, but lately I've just been annoyed by it. I leave it naked being that I don't like the look of it in a case. I am sick of all the fingerprints, having to wipe it down after every use. I don't like being paranoid of whether it's going to become scratched or not....

Anyway, I just want a phone that I can pick up, use, put it down on the table and go carefree. I wouldn't have to worry about getting fingerprints, scratching, dropping..etc. I feel like I can't enjoy my iPhone because I'm so paranoid about everything else.

So here's what I'm thinking.
    Sell my 16 GB Black iPhone 3G(perfect condition, never been dropped) on eBay for around 350-4.
    Buy the enV 3 for 80. Buy an iPod Nano for 150.

No more 100 a month charges! Plus I am the only member of my family on AT&T so I can switch to a family plan on VZW.

So what is everyone's opinion? Can I get some help on this?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Invest $20 and put a crystal film or anti-glare film on your screen and a BSE shield on the back. Bam. No more paranoia about scratches.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You could get an invisable sheild for the phone but if you insist on leaving I like the iPod nano/enV idea. I'd say iPod touch and enV but you take issue with fingerprints.

4. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

I've done that many times already. I don't like the feel very much.

iPod touch is too big for just music in my opinion, plus fingerprints.

5. The General macrumors 601

Once you lose it you realized how good you had it.

6. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

I've heard that too, that's why I'm asking for help, to hear multiple opinions.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My opinion is that you're going to regret selling it.

If you have the option, hang onto the iPhone and use something in it's place until you realize nothing else compares. Then you can just pop your SIM back in and go.

I didn't see any mention of using a case. Have you thought about that?

8. The General macrumors 601

On October 11th, 2008, I decided I was going to get rid of my iPhone 3G and get a T-Mobile G1. So I did. I knew it was going to take me a while to get used to it, and it did.

I got used to the horrible interface, the lack of multi-touch, the lack of iTunes integration, the lack of a headphone jack, the inability to plug it into my car stereo, the crap keyboard, the cheap plastic touch screen, etc.

Near the end of my return period, I started panicking. I knew I had made a mistake. I couldn't take it anymore, I needed my iPhone back. On the last day of my return period, I took it back and got a refund, headed immediately the the Apple Store and bought myself a new iPhone 3G.

I didn't realize how good I had it with the iPhone 3G until I had no iPhone 3G at all. I tried to get over it, but I couldn't. I ended up with another iPhone.

My suggestion to you is to get over it. There are going to be fingerprints and scratches. Would you rather have an iPhone with fingerprints and scratches or no iPhone at all?

9. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

I have used an incase slider on the phone, which resulted in dust accumulating in the ports and scratches on the back..

I'm thinking maybe this is just a one-day thing. I just saw my friend's new phone and saw how simple and easy it was to use and how it was just a phone! Not a mini computer..

It may sound like against advanced technology or something but I don't know...maybe this thought will blow over tomorrow or something..hopefully.

10. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for this. I think I'm going to try to just treat it like a normal phone and not wipe it off or avoid hard surfaces and stuff like that. I'll give that a go and see how I feel.

11. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I hated the enV. I switched to the iPhone, and love it. My wife is about to switch from the enV as well, due to the same unbridled hatred for it. Just get a screen protector.

Also keep in mind that you'll have to spend a good amount of money to leave your AT&T contract.

12. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know about the ETF...

I had the enV original...I loved it for a while and then got bored. Then switched to the iPhone and now I want the enV 3...

ugh.

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

DONT DO IT! I sold my 3G 5 months after I got it simply because I saw the prices they were going for on ebay. Sold my 8gb for $560. About 2 weeks later I really started realizing how much it sucked to not be able to whip it out of my pocket and search anything I needed on the internet right there on the fly. And if its not the functioning of the phone you like, and it's just because of paranoia, who cares if it gets scratched up. I am the same way but if you are considering selling it just because of that then let it get scratched, just toss it down. Just be worry free about it because having a scratched iPhone is better than not having an iPhone in my opinion.

14. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

It is really good that you treat your iphone with such respect and are paranoid but at the end of the day its just a phone. I used to be like that but it was just too hard, so I started treating it like a real phone and it just made it that much better.
    I sold my iphone 3g becuase I am waiting for the new 3gs and right now I am using a really beat up treo 680 pro and it is just horrible.

15. yoavcs macrumors regular

Let me get this right:

You are so afraid you might scratch your pretty little iPhone that you'd rather have no iPhone at all?

Isn't that cutting off the nose to spite the face?

This is OCD behavior, friend.

Just use your phone and enjoy it. It is absolutely ridiculous to drop the iPhone from your lfie because you are afraid you won't be able to deal with you actually physically dropping it.

16. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I have a Crystal Film on the front of the phone and a "incase" case slipped over the phone. I keep the phone in my pocket and with the listed protection the phone looks great, no bulky belt holster and I don't worry about scratches bumps etc. This is a tool/phone not the Arc of the Covenant you are carrying around.

17. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Yea, I am usually pretty care free with my iPhone 3G. The only time I ever worry is whenever I'm at a football or basketball game and people are jumping all around or whatnot.

Just keep the iPhone and try to relax about it. I had to go without my iPhone for a week when it went out for repairs (random problem with the speaker, it would work unless I was on a call, weirdest thing ever, tried EVERYTHING and so did Apple... ended up with a brand new one) and I had to use a RAZR and hated the thing because I didn't have the easy touch screen keyboard, internet, music, apps, etc. Do like others and do a test drive with a different phone.

Also, the fact that you're having to wipe it down after every single use says you either mess with after eating greasy foods and such or are just very OCD. I use mine constantly with no protection on it and never have to worry about wiping it down to clean it... it's always fine.

18. cdinca macrumors 6502

Take out your keys and give it a big scratch on the back. Just like a car, the first ding is the worst.

19. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

incorrect!!! i switched to the palm pre from the 3g an could not be happier. All i ever wanted and more and i can customize just the way i want it.

20. gumball981 thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone, another big thing is the price. $100 a month is getting a little much, I'm just not sure and I think I'll give it more time..

thanks everybody.

21. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

The new phone is resistant to smudges and oil. Though it'd be a ridiculous amount of money to update for something like that.

22. The General macrumors 601

It hasn't been long enough for the panic to set in.

23. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I agree with you about the paranoia thing. I am a bit more stressed about loosing my iPhone than I was with any other phone... All I can say is that you should just try to get over it. Just don't worry about scratches and use your iPhone as if you were using your old phone. I'm sure nothing too terrible happened to that one. And if something bad happens then so be it. Just enjoy it while you have it.

24. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

nope. coupled with the crappy service att is providing... not going back