Thinking about downgrading from 17" MBP i5 to Base White Macbook/Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Final Cut, Jun 1, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

So right now I have a 17" base i5 MBP. I Bought it brand new off eBay for $2000 flat. Its a great laptop, but having just given up video games I am less convinced I need this much power in a laptop. I also could really use the extra money for the summer ( I mean I could get by fine without selling it, but I can be a lot more comfortable with the spare cash). I am thinking about selling it for around $1900 (giving me about $1000 in the bank) or so, and using the money to buy the base white macbook (cheapest is from apple directly- student discount + free ipod (which I will sell to get even more cash). Another option is waiting till WWDC and then buying the older macbook air or even the latest model if there is a price drop (which I want a bit more than the white macbook) for $200-300 more. I like the speed of the 17" but I don't think what I use it for is justified in keeping it.

What I use my laptop for (besides all the light stuff):

final cut express, avid, premiere, after effects (just getting started with it, very amateur work, however will be using it heavily for the next few years)
    iMovie (i dont even own a video camera so fire wire is not a concern now)
    itunes (massive 45gb+ collection)
    watching 720p and the occasional 1080p MKV files
    basic photo/photoshop work

So just a few questions as well

since the white macbook has no backlight keyboard, is it easier to see in the dark because of its color? does the white finish get yellow and nasty easily?

is the macbook air a solid machine to last 4 years+?

is watching movies on a 13" screen still enjoyable, and will I loose HD video performance if I end up using an external 21.5" 1080p monitor?

thanks alll:D

2. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

I Wouldn't do it. I have the 15" i5 and a rev B Macbook Air and Im thinking about selling both to upgrade to the model you have.

3. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity what do you use on your computers, heavy stuff? By the way I am also considering the 13" MBP although that would be less cost effective.