Thinking about dumping rMBP15 - Need Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PosterNutbag., Nov 1, 2012.

1. PosterNutbag. macrumors newbie

Here is what I currently have:

rMBP15 8GB/256GB
    Thunderbolt Display
    Primary uses: VMWare Fusion Work / Web / little bit of Warcraft

Wife has a mid 2012 MBA 11 (4GB/128GB)
    Thunderbolt to DVI Adapter to 24 inch Dell monitor
    Primary uses: Web

We're both very happy but I travel a bit and the rMBP is a bit too large for me and the idea of buying a new Tumi backpack isn't appealing to me since I'm happy with the two I already have.

I'm considering doing one of two options and am looking for opinions or alternate options:

Option 1:
    -Replace the rMBP15 for a rMBP13 straight up (concerned it can handle warcraft at the Thunderbolt display resolution)

Option 2:
    -Sell the rMBP15 and replace it with a 27 inch iMac
    -Give the Thunderbolt display to my wife (this will allow her to use a wired network connection which she currently cannot while docking due to only 1 thunderbolt port--the wireless is often unreliable)

Thanks in advance.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, I wouldn't suggest a 13" retina . . .

Why not sell the 15" and get a 13" MBP with upgraded RAM and storage? (If needed.)

3. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

I'd be very concerned that you are right about option one. I'm also impressed you are going to go from 4 cores to 2, along with down a graphics card, so as not to buy a new backpack.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Option is so asinine I can't even fathom why you would sell a 15 rmbp for a 13rmbp. Sure it makes sense, if you don't think about it.

5. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

sell you rMBP and buy a mini for use on your display and an 11" MBA refurb for carrying in your old bag.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sad because the rMBP actually does everything you need. The 13" will be having issues with games at ANY resolution much less native AND TB display. iMac and MBA best bet but you'll have to shell out. 13" rMBP is a waste. It isn't portable or powerful enough to fill any gap left by the MBP and MBA.

7. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I don't think you need a rmbp at all for what you do. You can sell it and buy a mba and ipad mini. I would just keep it and buy an additional ipad mini for traveling.

8. PosterNutbag. thread starter macrumors newbie

That was the whole reason I posted the question in the first place... to help me through the through process. Idiot.

Yeah, option 1 seems like a bad idea. The backpack is about $400 so I'd rather put that towards something that would lighten my travel load yet keep enough graphics power when at home.

Intel 4000 chipset good enough for Warcraft at TB display resolutions? I do like the idea of an 11 MBA refurb though.

Gotta have fusion capabilities on the road.

Thank you very much. Maybe I'll just keep what I got since I'm very pleased with it, get my wife the iMac and share (read: steal) her 11 MBA for when I travel.

That way for my trips that are multiple weeks long I could still take the 15rMBP in case I wanted to game a bit.

9. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

I do not see why you would do that.

I love my bab-.. I mean rMBP 15.

10. IAmTroll macrumors newbie

How about the option of sticking with what you have?

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wait you asked an idiotic question that you knew people wouldn't agree with, yet you posted it any way?

PS
    Thanks for calling me an idiot, when I gave you my advice, which is what you asked for.

12. PosterNutbag. thread starter macrumors newbie

You are welcome. Not only will I ask for help, I'll give it. Glad I could be of assistance by pointing out how you came across. Good day.

13. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Your option 2 doesn't make sense unless you plan on travelling with your wife's MBA.

If I were you and the size being such an issue, I would sell the rMBP and buy a 13" MBA + iMac or a PC.

14. Queen6, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

For me there is absolutely nothing compelling about the 13" Retina other than the size, the 15" Retina absolutely dominates the 13" Retina in every aspect, anyone looking to buy the 13" should think about it very carefully.

Apple set the standard for performance with the 15" Retina and now they are looking to cash in on those who are not able to live with the 15"s footprint. A 13" with a basic CPU upgrade (i7) costs as much as a 15" Retina base in many countries which is a bad joke to say the least.

It makes little sense to go with the 13" the CPU`s performance level of the 15' over the 13" in isolation is significant to say the least, anything CPU intensive is simply going to be completed far faster, any app that can take advantage of multicore architecture more so.

GeekBench Results:
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012) Intel Core i7-3520M 2900 MHz (2 cores) 7797 (High end)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012) Intel Core i7-3615QM 2300 MHz (4 cores) 10799 (Base)

My own base 15" Retina benchmarks at over 11K systematically (Link: just hit 11040 and 11043 and 11096) and on top of the far higher CPU rating you will have both the HD 4000 and GT 650M GPU`s, superior audio, higher resolution. If i was forced to buy the 13" Retina i would be very unhappy to say the least giving up so much, to save so little, and offer a smaller footprint.

My own base 15" Retina benchmarks at over 11K systematically (Link: just hit 11040 and 11043 and 11096) and on top of the far higher CPU rating you will have both the HD 4000 and GT 650M GPU`s, superior audio, higher resolution, twice the storage capacity. If i was forced to buy the 13" Retina i would be very unhappy to say the least giving up so much, saving just a couple of hundred dollars, just for a smaller footprint.

The bottom line is the 13" Retina is priced far too high, i applaud Apple`s ingenuity and engineering prowess, equally their greed is staggering just when will enough be enough $$$$. The 13" Retina should have a base price range of $1200 - $1300, in general the 13" line is grossly over priced, as fundamentally little to nothing has changed since it`s introduction in 2008 as the Aluminium MacBook; duel core CPU, integrated graphics only, and very poor resolution on the standard model.

The suggestion of an iMac and a used Air (13") is also valid, however much depends on how frequently you travel and the usage. The straight up answer is buy a bigger bag, it`s your cheapest option, and you will have all the performance you need at all times ;)

15. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

No offense to any of the posters, but the majority of you don't get it. Yes the r15 has better specs and is a better bang for the buck. And yes the ONLY benefit of the r13 is the size. BUT to some the reduced size far outweighs the specs.

Is the 13" rMBP a good machine? Absolutely. Is it expensive for what you get? Most will say yes, I say it is debatable as no one here has any clue how much it actually costs to build. If I had to take an educated guess, the r13's profit margin is actually smaller than the 15. With the highest cost component being the screen.

To answer the OP's question. I don't think it is a horrible idea, if it makes your travels easier. The only hiccup I see would be with your WoW. The HD4000 can play WoW just fine. But not at the native Thunderbolt OR Retina (which is actually higher than the TBD) resolution.

Oh and I own a rMBP 15" and love it :)

16. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I got 11970 with my 15" rMBP. Why there is such a big difference between models?

Edit: Never mind, you used the free 32bit test...

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yep as the 32bit test is the most commonly used and quoted, with the 64bit benchmark my Base Retina exceeds 12K systematically...

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I understand the need by some for a smaller more portable system, i have a 13' Air myself. Personally i believe the opposite that the margins on the 15" are far less than the 13" especially the standard Unibody, cost of hardware alone:

• Display
    • CPU
    • GPU
    • Speakers
    • SSD
    • Battery
    • Machining of case
    • Base materials

If anything Apple will have deliberately lowered their extensive margins in order to make sure the 15" Retina took off successfully. Just as i agree that some must have a 13" for many practical reasons, Apple understand this full and clearly make the most out of it, or is that takes advantage? It would indeed be very interesting to see the Build of Materials for both 13" & 15" Retina Mac`s. My money`s on the 13" being significantly cheaper to produce than the 15" as only Apple truly know it`s impossible to be 100% accurate, however there is a great deal more value for money to be had with the 15" and the pricing well speaks for itself...