Thinking about exchanging my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hushmartin, Jul 27, 2009.

1. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Due to size...yeah, I know, quit groaning and don't even start with the "didn't anyone tell you to buy the biggest...". I know. I should have, but at the time I was buying my cheapskate hubby was standing there saying that the 16 should be big enough and I caved.

Anyway, so how hard is it to exchange your iphone for a bigger one? Do they make you pay the 10% restocking fee to exchange for size? Should I go back to the original store to do it? Or, can I go to the Apple store? Can I do the exchange at the Apple store, or do I have to return the current phone at AT&T where I got it? Does anyone know? Also, the apps that I've bought already- they are saved on my computer when I sync, right? If not, how do I make sure I don't lose them?

Sorry If there's some newb questions, this is my first iPhone ever.

2. TheVillageIdiot macrumors newbie

All your apps, songs, data, etc are on your computer. Just do a Restore on the phone, then exchange it where it was originally purchased. As long as you are in the return period, all should be good (no extra fees).

Also, don't cave so easily ;)

3. army91c macrumors 6502a

How hard is it to re-sync and change up what's on your phone? Keep the extra $100 in your pocket.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

you will have to pay restocking fee. i managed with 4gb..

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You might be able to get them (apple or ATT) to waive the restocking fee but its unlikely. I was able to easily exchange my 8gig 3G phone for a 16gig and all it took was time and paying the restocking fee. Of course I did that within the 30 day window of getting the phone.

If you bought the phone > 30 days you'll be out of luck ;)

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If you're still within your 14 days, they don't make you pay a restocking fee. I returned my iPhone 3GS and it costed me nothing.

Just return it... and turn around and buy another one.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good GOD - what do you have on your iPhone? I have a 32 GB and have less than 5 GB used. You can't "take it all with you." You need to be selective with music (and used a compressed format) and movies. Heck, I have Navigon on there, yet my apps only take up 2 GB.

Usually, I agree with the "buy as much memory as you can," but it takes effort to fill up 32 GB. Thay beiong said, if you are within the return period, you will have a restocking fee. As above, refill your new phone from the saved info from the old phone on iTunes.

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I am using about 9 gigs on my 32 GB and that is with trying hard to put songs on it. The phone is a two year committment, even if you aren't using all of the space, it's nice to have. In the future you may use it. What's $100 over two years? Go for it.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You're talking like an old person. :)

My son has 80 GB on his ipod (and he wants even more space). That's just how kids roll. So, for someone who wants to keep all their music and treat the iPhone as an ipod/phone, the 32 GB can be easily filled up.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'd have no problem filling up a 32 GB iPhone.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Same here. I have too much music. I love most of it and it's really hard to figure out what I want on my 16GB iPhone because I have to kick some artists off. It's like a game show you know? I'm sorry Kasabian, but you have been eliminated from my iPhone... Rehab, you are safe. It can be fun though sometimes. It just sucks when I get some new music and I have to figure out who I want to kick off next... hehe. I have no videos at all on my iPhone (more space for music!).

I actually cary a 120GB iPod with me at all times that has all my music on it.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Caught me - I'm past 40. Thay having been said, I have a 120 GB iPod with my ENTIRE music collection on it. However, since the move to iPhone, I find making a few slected playlists, I can carry around a quantity of music I can actually listen to. I don't think I can stay up for 57 days, 24 hours/day to listen to all my music.

My point is, like a purse, you have to decide what you want to lug aroung. You can always get a larger purse, but do you really NEED, and will you ever USE, all that stuff.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Pretty difficult to do after the 14 day exchange period. But good luck....

15. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, luckily I've only had this phone a few days now, so all's good there. The space issue starts with the fact that I know I am going to want to buy the tomtom app when it comes out. The tomtom app will eat up two gigs by itself.

I seriously sat here for hours going through my collection of music to try to pare down what I wanted on there. This is an ipod replacement for me, btw. I got it pared down to 9gb, and that's with leaving off a lot of things I really wanted including new music i haven't listened to yet. This is coming from a person who once said "There is no way in He** I will EVER fill up an 80gb hard drive...". Of course, I did manage to fill it up without even trying.

I have some games that I want to put on after I jailbreak, and those will take up a fair amount of space, nevermind all the podcasts, tv, etc. Even if I get the 32 I still won't be carrying my whole collection; I just won't be as pressured to sync different stuff all the time. I find syncing to be really tedious and I want to keep it to a minimum. It's easier on the iPhone than other devices I have used though.

To the person with the purse comment: that's pretty funny. I don't carry a large purse, it's actually very small, so the irony of that is pretty apparent. My favorite purse can fit 4 things. Seriously, Four.

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The more space, the better. Always.

If you an get an exchange, I say do it!

17. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I dont know how people can fill up a 32 g.. I cant even fill up an 8!

18. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

If there was an 8 gig 3GS i would get that!

I dont have THAT much music, but 16 gigs is more than enough for me.:p

19. alansaysstop macrumors regular

I don't really use the ipod on my iphone all that much. I have like 4GB of music on there for when I'm at work and want to listen to something. My iPod classic is always with me in my car since my iphone won't connect to my radio. I bought an iPod to replace the 120 page cd book that I carried around for years, so having such little space on an iphone I don't see myself replacing my iPod COMPLETELY.

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

thats weird my apple store said if i return mine i would need to pay a restocking fee, at that time i bought it 2 days ago and yes i did open it.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Before I returned mine, I asked if there would be a restocking fee and they said no. Then I returned it and they did not charge me at all. So all went well.

22. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

30 days for iphones

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Thats good, i guess it all depends on who you are talking to, some of the employees dont know their names :rolleyes: but when i want to work at an apple store nooooo i never get a call :mad:

24. hushmartin thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a bit of an update; I went to At&t for something else and they happened to have 32gb phones in stock, so I took it as a sign and exchanged! Very glad about that. They DID charge the restocking fee, by the way, but since it was only 20 bucks I figured 'what the heck'. It's worth it.

25. RumorHasIt.... macrumors member

Huh?

This is a lousy analogy. Having more data on your iphone is absolutely no more cumbersome than having very little data. In fact, it could lessen the amount that one puts in a bag (or a purse); a paperback book, dictionary, etc...