thinking about exchanging the phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skierdb526, Jul 12, 2008.

1. skierdb526 macrumors regular

I decided I liked the white model better. Does anyone know how an exchange would work? simple swap or what? att or apple?
    'Thanks

2. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

If you've opened it and used 15 minutes of talk time or X amount of data you won't be able to excahnge at all. The only way is if it's still in the shrink wrap.

3. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I dont think its going to be that easy at all...

4. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

seriously? any fee's attached? anymore ideas?

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

if the film around the box is taken off, then that already is basically "opened".

You have a 14 day return / 10% restocking fee.

I would wait a week and see if you adjust, if you dont it wont make a difference.

6. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

not the biggest deal in the world. I wish they would have let me view both models prior to my purchase at AT&T.

7. macman4291 macrumors regular

I think you can return it opened and pay a restocking fee of like 15%, or something, idk...I would just stick with the black, You can put a case on it, or whatever, or if you every have a problem with it, and need to get it replaced, I bet they would give you a white on if you asked since the specifications are the same.

8. aphexii macrumors 6502

That's never been the case with any other AT&T phone. They give you 14 days to return it, and a 10% restocking fee if opened. As long as its in like new condition (no scratches), your fine.

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

all you had to do was ask. my Apple store (and I'm told others were the same) had both colors on display as demo units and if you were unsure you could go fiddle with them for a few minutes before making your decision. due to trying to be quick about getting people through, they simply asked which you wanted and didn't prompt us that they were over there if we were unsure, but if you asked, they happily took you over there to show you.

10. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked. He said sorry, we cant do that. and it was at an AT&T.

11. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

FYI, every iphone i seen yesterday at the att store was not wrapped. It was just the box. Im sure u can exchange it.

12. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

At the Apple store I was at yesterday, they brought out both the black and white models and let everyone in line hold them and even play with them while everyone was waiting.

13. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

that was nice of them.

14. aphexii macrumors 6502

The store probably unwrapped them early to speed up the process as my AT&T in Sarasota would unwrap them right in front of you. They even had box cutters for each associate.

15. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

A woman in front of me in line this morning had an opened 8GB model that her husband decided he didn't want (he wanted the 16GB instead). They swapped hers out with a minimum of effort. Not sure if she had to pay the restocking fee or not, because it was one of the phones that was never able to be activated yesterday.

16. elbirth macrumors 65816

maybe most people wouldn't care, but Apple fans (myself included) wouldn't like that one bit. At the Apple store I went to, they had them all boxed up in a corner where they'd pick up the color/size you wanted, do the credit check, and upon success, then open it up and hook it up to iTunes to attempt to sync. Having the Apple guy being the one to open it up already annoyed me enough as it was. Later in the day when they decided to give up on iTunes syncing they weren't even opening them anymore and just letting people go home to activate to speed the line up.

17. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

The apple store I got mine at last night had them all out so you could get a good look before choosing. Fairly quick process for me once I got in the store, but there were many others that were having issues porting/ ineligible. One woman was in tears after being in line 4 hours when she was turned away. They warned her early on and she refused to get out of line..quite the scene.

18. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I was starting to want to see about exchanging my black one for the white one but after seeing the white iPhone at the Apple store today I am glad I got the black. My AT&T store has 2 black iPhones on display. I was going to try to use that to get out of the restocking fee if they wanted to charge me, since I wasn't able to see the white before purchase. I don't understand why they don't send a black and white to the store for display. Why have 2 of the same on display?

19. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Think how grimy a white iPhone would be after being handled by hundreds of sweaty line-waiters.

20. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

So do we think this is possible? I can go monday at the soonest. what do you think my chances are?

21. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

22. zakurie macrumors newbie

I just exchanged a black 16gb for my new white one. No restocking fee! And I didn't have to wait in line! It was the same process as buying the black one yesterday. Only problem was that I had to call AT&T in the middle of the exchange to delete the FAN (corporate discount) from my account.

23. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

thats good to hear. what did you tell att to do a free exchange? waht did you have to bring back into the store? let me know.

24. Clyde099 macrumors regular

I'm hoping to do an exchange tomorrow of a 16GBlack iPhone with stuck pixels and some specks of dust. Will they charge a restocking fee for this? I don't think so...?

25. skierdb526 thread starter macrumors regular

the online thing says my apple store is out of stock. ill try monday.