Thinking about getting a 13" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by comics addict, Nov 22, 2015.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I currently have as my main machine a mid-2012 non-retina MacBook Pro with an SSD being the only component that I have upgraded so far. Still get by just fine with 4GB of RAM for my uses since I mainly use it for web browsing, e-mail, office productivity, media management & light gaming. I have been with this computer design for over five years ( bought my original Pro in 2010 but after two years had to have it exchange due to a logic board issue) so I feel I would like to have a lighter, more portable and better battery life that the 13" Air offers. I don't use the optical drive anymore for a couple of years now and all my networking is done wirelessly now so losing ethernet doesn't seem to be a problem. My main drawback is that honestly with the SSD my Mac runs and does all I need it to do just fine and probably will do so for the next couple of years. And what worries me about the Air is that I read that the color gamut is 40% beneath even the non-retina's display and after all this time I guess I'm kinda spoiled by the gorgeous colors on my laptop. The colors certainly look washed out when compared to the 13" non-retina, at least, to my eyes but a lot of people on this forums seem to suggest that depending on the screen manufacturer that one gets one could calibrate the display for better performance. I would really like to hear what other people have to chime in given my concerns. Thanks a lot.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I love the 13" Air, but the screen is not as good as my 13" rMBP, but it is good enough for my use and the light weight over the rMBP made the difference for me. Lots of discussion on the boards about whether or not Apple will continue to offer the Air at all in the future or just the new MBPs and rMBPs. Only Apple knows for sure.

3. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Add to the fact that it's retina and it certainly gonna look a whole lot sharper. ;) For me personally is the fact that retina would be a paying a premium for a much nicer screen that I will not use at all since I don't edit high resolution video and photos. My current MBP screen is excellent for my uses but I'm admit am envious of the phenomenal battery life and the weight of the Air. If only the screen would be exactly like my current cMBP it wouldn't be a issue for me. Btw did you calibrated your Air's display after getting it or is the default profile fine for you? My cMBP uses the default profile and never have had a problem with it.

4. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I've never owned a retina MacBook, so I can't compare it to a MBA. I love my MBA. I recalibrated the display and I am happy with it. I have a 13" 2013 MBA. I watch Netflix or HD video on YouTub and am happy.

As a retired graphic designer color has always been very important to me.

5. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

May I ask how did you recalibrate it?

6. whg macrumors regular

whg

Hi, I used a mid 2013 Macbook Air 11" (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) before I switched to the 12" Macbook recently. The colors looked very washed out originally, but after calibration with an X-Rite i1-Display the screen improved significantly and was color wise very close to my iMac 27". I could even work with Adobe Lightroom, and the processed images looked very good on the iMac (no need for further color correction).

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgive my ignorance but is that an app for calibrating the display?

8. whg macrumors regular

whg

The i1Display is a hardware device using 3 color filters, in contrast to the i1pro, which is a real spectrophotometer but more expensive. I got the 1iDisplay (version3) as a (beta) test device. A similar device would be the Spider from Datacolor. Both would of course need some software to do their work!

9. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh that solution would be quite impractical for me I'm afraid :/

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

We use the default profile and did not do any calibration. Pretty much all it is used for is web browsing and writing with Pages or Word. I also really like the USB and Thunderbolt ports.

11. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Honestly, given that you aren't doing anything that requires high power, you'd be better off with an rMB and enjoy the retina screen.

12. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I strongly considered it but just having that single usb-c port ... :mad:

13. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Try out the keyboard first.

14. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Looks like Microsoft might have a solid solution for you, depending on what your needs are:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...and-accessories.1884706/page-12#post-22287272

...which seems to be polarizing: people seem to love it or hate it in the reviews I've read. I tried one briefly at the story and didn't mind it. Probably something that you get used to after a week or so.

15. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

FWIW, I'd take the 13" rMBP or 12" rMB any day, over the 13" MBA.

I currently own a 2013 13" MBA, 2 12" rMBs, my kids have a 13" rMBP, and we even have a slightly messed up 11 MBA floating around. I've spent a lot of time using all of them, and the 13" MBA is my least favorite (actually, the 11 is my least favorite, but the 13 is a close 2nd). Screens are a very personal thing though, so the 13 MBA may be OK for you. But it isn't for me. Heck, I get a lot more done with the screen on my 12" rMB, and that system performs surprisingly well. In real-world usage between in and my 13 MBA, I can't feel the difference. But my kids' rMBP does feel snappier, and the weight isn't bad.

I think the MBA like has just been ignored for too long to the point where it's outdated and tired. Just yesterday, I bought a XPS 13... wow! Same screen real-estate, considerably more power, amazing screen, much lighter than the MBA, USB-C/TB3 port, and just gorgeous!

I think Apple needs to seriously overhaul the MBA line, or just shoot it in the head, adding a bigger retina MacBook.

IMOHO... YMMV.

16. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

+1

17. BFskinnerPunk macrumors newbie

BFskinnerPunk

I have a 2015 MBa 11"... bottom of the line specs....and I would actually consider a 13", 8gb, 256 version for sure.
    Why?
    • When home, it is hooked to much nicer monitors and my low end version runs them beautifully. I don't need or see the use of a fine screen on a highly portable road warrior.
    • battery life: Is anyone coming close to meeting the MBa 13" battery life? Maybe...but not in the Apple lineup. If you've got a 13" MBa, you don't even need to look at your battery levels for a full day.
    • proven design: yes, it is tired and no longer a fashion accessory....but it is tough, holds up for years and years.etc.
    The price for a nicely spec'd MBa is still strikingly high, though. If they update the design, hopefully they don't jack the price up too much more, because it is already pricey! Also, I hope they can maintain the incredible battery life.

18. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I took the plunge on a base configuration of 4/126 of RAM/Storage at a Black Friday sale. So far I'm loving it on how thin, light and good looking it is. The screen on my model looks great making my concerns all muted. Which makes me wonder if by any chance the one I had seen on display once at a store a while back that had a yellow tint was by any chance defective. Didn't help matters that it sat right next to the non-Retina MBP which looked exactly the same as my own.