Thinking about getting a AEBS... need some info.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JGruber, Jun 30, 2009.

1. JGruber macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm thinking about getting a Airport Extreme Base Station, and have a few questions.

1) Are the Ethernet ports 10/100/1000 ?

2) Can I setup MAC based access with WEP or WPA security?

3) Does it support uPnP ?

4) Can I setup IP reservations for my other devices? iPhones, Laptops, Servers, etc..

5) Does it support Port Forwarding?

6) Can I plug in a External Drive and use it as a Time Machine backup device?

I think that is about it for now. If your wondering why I want MAC based access, it's just a habit for me, as I use it on all our Cisco AP's at work.

The devices I would be using are a Xbox360 wired, windows home server wired, 2 iPhones, 2 Macbooks and a Dell laptop. The ONLY 2 'N' devices are the Macbooks. So dual band is a must for me.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes
    If you mean MAC filtering yes there's the ability to provide access based on the MAC address

Yes, I believe so, but I've never gotten that to work, but then it could be because of my DSL modem's settings and not the AEBS

Yes, I believe you can setup up ranges to be reserved though I've never done that.

Yes

Yes, but if you use the USB plug, it will be slow, other wise you'll need to use a NAS