Thinking about getting a bigger HDD for my MBP, questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolf121188, Jan 4, 2008.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Like it says, 160GB just isn't enough. I'm looking at getting a 250(ish), and I figure I'll get a 7200 while I'm at it.

Questions:
    Will this void my warranty?
    Are the MBP HDDs 1.5GB/s SATA drives or 3GB/s?
    Any advice on what drive and where to get it for cheap?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There must be over a dozen threads on this topic for both MacBook and MacBook Pro. Search!

For example, 2 threads down:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=384424

3. fs454 macrumors 65816

I JUST did this last week.

I have a 2.4ghz 15" SR Macbook Pro. 160gb doesn't fit the bill.

For christmas, someone in my family got me a Western Digital Passport 250gb external 2.5 incher at Costco for $120. Case pops open easily to reveal a 250GB SATA 2.5inch drive that works flawlessly in my MBP. Then you can stick your old 160 in the enclosure and continue to use it. Either that, or go to Newegg.com and get your stuff there. The biggest drive out, released like, yesterday, is 500GB for $400. The best deal honestly is the 320gb for around $200ish, or the 250gb passport from Costco for $120 with a nice bus powered enclosure for the old drive.

Its around 20-somehting screws including a few Torx so have those on hand. The process is fairly straightforward, until you get inside. Once the top case is off, there's a right bracket held in by two Torx, keeping the drive in. Then there's all sorts of flat cabling glued to the drive itself. You need to pull it up gently, but its pretty straightforward from there. I have the service manual PDF if you'd like it....if those are okay to pass around?

THE OFFICIAL VERDICT ON THE WARRANTY INFO:
    I was just at the Apple store to replace my powerbrick, as my old one's magsafe popped clean off.
    I went: "So...hypothetical question. Say 160gb wasn't enough, and I stuck a 250 in there...how's my warranty?"

He said it was just fine. They can't cover drive failure, and if worse comes to absolute worse, stick the old drive back in. If you break somehting while you're in there, you're on your own, but the laptop is definately covered for everything else.

Good luck.

Crusin' with 188GB free with Final Cut Studio 2 installed off the bat. Woo.

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. No need for the manual, as I've popped the top off of my MBP several times and half no qualms about doing so.