Thinking about getting a iMac, do they have heat issues?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hook'Em2006, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I've messed with a few at the apple store and they all seem to feel pretty hot. Anyone ever had any issues due to heat?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They will feel hot as the aluminum dissipates heat from the CPU. But this doesn't cause an issue. Typically they run slightly above room temperature.

3. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

4. .Max. macrumors member

.Max.

The ones in the Apple store will have been on all day, No sleep, Along with about 20 others and their stores are pretty hot generally anyway :p

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

This. And... Nope, no issues. I like the warmth they give off. My studio is pretty cold.

6. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I appreciate the timely responses.

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

You are only the 10,000th topic worrying about the back of the iMacs being hot to the touch. There really needs to be a sticky about it. It would save people some trouble. Anyways, do not worry! The most recent iMacs are the coolest to date.

8. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

the older iMac G5's and early-late 2006 models had minor heat issues which caused the flex cable to the LCD to detach causing vertical lines but as far as the new ones there aren't any issues that are showing up as of yet.
    If you know about the tech behind it, you can't even get the flex to glass adhesive they used back then anymore because it was a known issue that it couldn't maintain adhesion over a long period of time when it gets warm.

9. ozred, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

ozred macrumors 6502

Yes, they run much warmer (to hot) than an identically configured PC laptop. All you have to do is notice there are no vents of any consequence in the sides of the case as you see with other top line laptops, like ThinkPads or the new HP workstations.

Mac people simply do not realize how hot they are as it's normal to them. Apple places style over functionality, which produces a very warm running laptop. Especially doing video work, or running you tube or flash, which is why they have flash blocker software. This is why Apple is so quick to point the finger and blame flash, a problem that simply does not exist with PC's.

So much of what you are used to, will be quite different. But like they say it doesn't have a short term effect on longevity just annoying wrist rest temps. Apple likes to build shiny "cool looking toys", the .2" extra thickness of a Thinkpad for example with it's roomy vents and great cooling system is the difference. Apple has no interest in such things.

Side by side testing with my ThinkPad / HP, or new MacBook Pro (all identically configured 15" laptops) reveals the Apple runs warm, yet like they say it's supposed to. Then again, for those users that do little more than use it like an iPad I'm sure it's really cool and quiet. I use mine for design and scientific / mathematics work ,so it's loaded up and working hard. Your experience will vary. Especially with an iMac.

10. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have a MacBook Pro, but thanks for informing me about how it was inadequately designed. My question was about an iMac and that in no way helped.

11. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

Not to go any further off the original topic but Thinkpads are the worst laptops ever... Not only are they ugly but they still think that little pencil eraser is a good idea for a mouse pointer lol.
    The heat coming off of my 21.5" iMac isn't very much and it's been on for 8 days, 1 hour and 0 minutes as of this post. Ambient temp is only 77˚ F and the CPU is only reading at 115˚ F. It has been awake all day and hasn't been to sleep since I woke up about 12 hours ago. Similar LCD TV's put off more heat.

As far as a laptop? The macbooks may run hotter than your average PC but they still run well within normal operating temps. Besides, we all know that Samsung makes the sexiest laptop :D

12. veeen8 macrumors newbie

How about running an iMac 21.5inch (new) in a totally no-aircon environment for 10-12 hrs on a daily basis? Am also a worried first time Mac customer from Singapore. Anyone owns an iMac under such circumstance? Does it heat up badly?

13. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I have a base 2011 21.5" iMac and have no heat issues at all.

14. jkmags macrumors member

I've read most of the "iMac Heat issue" threads and can say I had some concerns but most people said it was normal and AppleCare was reported to be above average.

The only concern i have had is with my GPU Diode temps when running with an extra 23" lcd attached via Thunderbolt running Netflix,. it likes to run ~ 80-85C in a cool room (ambient ~19-20). I haven't pushed it yet but when summer finally hits the ambient temps will go up and we will see how it runs.

John

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If you really worry or care about iMac cooling system, get the base 27¨ iMac, it has the best cooling system over all iMac ... Reasons:

1. It uses i5 with 65Watt TDP .. i7 upgrade option is not available here, so that should cut some more degrees.

2. It contained in 27¨ chassis, which designed and capable of handling the heat of hi-end iMac, yet the base 27¨ using 65 watt CPU and identical GPU to hi-end 21¨. That way the whole computer has more breathing room, not to mention the back chassis is a giant heatsink for 65watt CPU

3. The screen is huge and gorgeous, it´s a bonus feature :p

16. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

So you don't have to worry about 27 inch iMac heat I guess?

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't have to worry about any iMac's heat characteristics.

18. Spike88, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

As a general statement, NO heat issues with iMac all-in-one box design. However, being an all-in-one design, it does run "warmer" compared to an open box design. At factory specs and using for typical home user tasks (such as file, print, email, surfing, video streaming, playing DVDs, playing iTunes), there's NO heat issue at all. When some folks push their iMac to the upper limits with Games and high end video card usage, their iMac all-in-one box gets much warmer. And yes, they know when their iMac gets warmer. re: They cannot hold their hand over the top of thier iMac longer than 2 seconds.

If one wants their iMac box to run cooler (like some folks like their vehicle's transmission to run cooler while under heavy loads), simply install 3rd party fan control software. Simply increase the internal fans (specifically, the HDD FAN or DVD fan - which also cools the GPU / video card) by 200-300 RPMs ABOVE Factory. Thus, forcing more air around these heat producing internal items. If wondering, 200-300 RPMs above factory is only slightly faster. Minor increase compared to fan's max speed of 6,000 RPMs.

If wondering, I use 3rd party fan control software on my iMac. re: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol And, I set their fans to run 200 RPM faster than factory. Its insides now run 5-8 C cooler. Cooler even during typical home user tasks. Just like my mini-van (and loaded down with 4+ people and attached trailer), I like keeping it cooler as well. Thus, why I also install 3rd party aux cooler on my iMac as well. Cooler = better in the long run.

Install Fan Control software if one wants. To me, its a good thing (especially in the long run). But for some folks, they feel "drive it until it automatically shuts down - from boil over load" is the better approach. Each to their own...

But as a general statements, IMO iMacs only run "warm to warm-hot" heat range during heavy GPU loads because of their all-in-one box design.

Hope this helps in your research...

19. camardelle macrumors 6502

I've been running mine since August '11 without issue and I don't find that it's hot.