Thinking about getting a Palm Pre Plus AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elephunkman, May 31, 2010.

1. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I'm considering the Nexus One or Pre Plus in addition to iPhone 4. Anyone here has experience with the Pre Plus on AT&T? No verizon/sprint people please.

2. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

if you care about the battery life don't do it

3. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Pre Plus has crappy battery life? Wow, didn't know that. Thanks man

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

no its battery is fine. tho multitasking kills it.

5. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Buddy has one, says the battery is real bad. Can't go a full day without having to charge it

6. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Well if it comes to my worst case scenario of having to buy an iPhone at full price, I'll go with the nexus one probably or just the pre plus with a spare battery.

7. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

Get the nexus one. the Pre's software is amazing but the hardware is crap.
    Battery would drain by 6pm just sitting on the desk. It's a shame that they really messed up with that phone. WebOS is a very nice and polished software.

The Nexus is nice. Battery last quite a bit.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I can't recommend the Nexus to anyone. As a matter of fact, I can't let a recommendation for getting the Nexus go without letting people know of my experience. The link in my sig shows one of my posts in this forum talking about experience switching from iPhone to the N1.

9. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Good read, thanks bud. I've noticed that Apple products work well even though the specs don't match up. I mean, a macbook with 1GB of ram works just as well as a dell xps with 4GB of ram. I'm sure the iPhone 4 will blow the Evo out of the water and into a shark's mouth.

10. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

i wouldn't recommend the nexus one either. i had the motorola droid and the incredible. from experience, the apps are like they were made by kindergartners with an art kit.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I always buy an extended battery if possible.

I think the stock Palm Pre size is 1150mAh. An extended version that fits in the same place is 1350-1400mAh. That gives almost an extra hour of talk time (over the normal five hours on ATT).

And of course you can go crazy and buy huge batteries like 2600mAh if you can stand the extra size.

As for multitasking eating the battery -- I never saw that happen on a Pixi. It's just really convenient to have multiple apps open at once. Doesn't mean they're necessarily using up cpu cycles. The ones that do, however, are doing something useful, like checking for phone number updates on Facebook etc (if you allow it).

12. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, apps-wise, I only have the ones I need like facebook, twitter, and the occasional game or two. On my previous iPhone, I would have 2 pages max. For now, I see the Nexus One being a better choice than a Pre Plus for some reason. But, this is all just a thought because I have no idea what June 7th has in store for us.

13. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

android's facebook and twitter apps dont have push notifications so they continuously run in the background and dont notify you right away. it checks based on whatever interval you set it. you can tell it to check every 15 minutes to 4 hours. the problem with this is you'll see your battery drain a lot faster than an iphone.

14. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, interesting. Well Bold 9700 here I go!*

* if there is no way for me to get an iPhone 4

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I've always been envious of the WebOS on the palm devices. It is an absolute pleasure to use and is a beautiful OS. If that ran on an iPhone with all the apps the iphone has it would be the greatest smartphone. I really wish apple would have bought palm. The fact that they didn't, however, indicates to me that they've got a next gen OS that is substantially completed and didn't need palms patents and UI.

16. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Yep - the battery on my 9700 Bold (that I have in addition to a 3GS) lasts 3-4 days. Of course, it could be because the experience of using it is so horrendous that I only pick it up when I'm forced to...

17. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

This is downside to getting a discounted iPhone through AT&T, its refurbished, but what refurbished to AT&T is - is being used within or not used within the 30 day period. However you have to get a 2 year contract and eligible for an equipment/iPhone upgrade or be a completely new customer to AT&T.

18. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I would love to find a relatively inexpensive smart phone to use in lieu of the 3gs when I'm at work. I was forced into letting a mentally handicapped girl who was having a total breakdown use my iPhone to call her mom...I nearly had a stroke and my blood pressure went through the roof. Fortunately all was well, but she cried on it and I was freaked about water damage. Perhaps I am a bit overprotective/paranoid about the iPhone...but I <3 my iPhone. LOL Yeah, it's kinda sad.

edit to add: Oh yeah, +1 about the WebOS. I love it. Was seriously considering Palm Pre before iPhone...but then Monkey Island SE came out on the iPhone and I was sold. True story.

19. elephunkman thread starter macrumors 65816

What??? Huh? Discounted iPhones are not refurbished if you are referring to the subsidized ones.

20. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

just ordered a palm pre plus exclusively for the free 3g hotspot. I'll let you know...

21. Kyliec89 macrumors member

I had the Palm for about 9 months. I wouldn't recommend it. I think the keyboard is a pain, because its so small and the buttons got sticky on me after like 2 months, and I am clean, and a female with small hands. I also hated typing on it because the top would feel really heavy compared the thin slide out part. Sometimes the key wouldn't even be stuck down and it would type some letter over and over till I took the battery out. In fact, I found myself having to remove the battery several times a day because it was glitching out and I couldn't stop it. My battery would last maybe half a day, if I didn't use the phone at all, so I had to plug it in at every opportunity. The first one started glitching so bad it got replaced, and then the second one started acting the same after a couple months. The screen would also start flashing weird things randomly and get lines across it. I was really excited for that phone, and ended up quite disappointed. Browsing the internet was amazing, and much better than any phone I have ever used, I will give it that. But I also haven't owned an iphone yet. (getting iPhone 4!). Im on an LG Lotus on my sisters sprint family plan now till June 24th and at least it holds a charge and is easy to type on.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    A note: I actually like the Pixi more than the Pre.

The Pixi has the keyboard always available, it's super thin and light, and you can get cool colored backs for it. Its only downside is the smaller screen.

As for WebOS, I miss the easy flipping through tasks, the notifications, the email client, and especially the Touchstone charger, which was so convenient.

I got used to laying the Pixi on the charger in the middle of the house. I could glance at it anytime in passing to see if its notification light was softly pulsing.