Thinking about getting an Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gabo864, Sep 28, 2013.

1. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Hey everyone.

So I'm thinking about upgrading my current router and getting the airport extreme.

I have a 1TB external harddrive that I want to keep plugged in to my Airport extreme. My question is, Would I be able to wirelessly transfer pictures or files from my iPhone/iPad to my external harddrive?, I know I can't back them up to the harddrive since I have to do it through iTunes or to the iCloud, but my job requires me to do a lot of video recording and picture-taking so I thought this could come in handy if I could just transfer pictures to my harddrive from my iPhone or iPad, and if not possible - is there an app that I could use for that?.

Thank you all.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That won't work by default, but there are apps like File Connect that will do exactly what you are after.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Router-based storage hookups lots of time requires you to install a client app, intended for laptop/desktop. I'd make sure BaseStation works specifically with IOS, and what version.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Perhaps not what you wanted, but you could store your desktop's iPhoto library (or one of them) on the external drive. Then when you sync the iPhone/iPad photos wirelessly with your desktop it will in turn put the photos and videos on the external drive .....