Thinking about getting an external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by parkschr, Nov 30, 2009.

1. parkschr macrumors member

I currently have a 250 gb imac. I know it is recommended that you at least double the size for an external hd making it a 500 gb. However, if I upgrade to a new computer in like 3 to 5 years, this 500 gb would be way too small. Now most of the macs are starting at 500 gb hard drives.

I don't know what size I should get now. If I get a 1tb, that might work down the road, but it will be expensive.

Also, I have heard that I should get a Seagate or Western Digital. The WD tends to be a little cheaper according to my research.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

WD Essential 1.5 TB for 99 bucks at Amazon.com. It is a GOOD buy and a GREAT drive.

3. parkschr thread starter macrumors member

It's now $139. :(

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If it is just back-up you need, what jessica. recommended is a great deal. Here are some other options.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Keep an eye out for the 1TB or the 1.5TB. My next recommendation would be any of the My Book drives from WD. Next to that ones from OWC have served me well.

6. parkschr thread starter macrumors member

Even though they are listed as desktop hd, can you put it on the floor under a desk? Can it sit on carpet?