Thinking about getting an iBook..should I wait?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TiBoBi, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. TiBoBi macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2006
    I have heard a lot about the "new" iBook (aka MacBook). I really, really want a laptop soon but I don't want to get one or a MBP until I see what is coming out. When do you think they will announce it?
  2. Seasought macrumors 65816


    Nov 3, 2005
    No matter what the news or rumors are it's going to be a gamble. Ultimately it comes down to how important it is to have an iBook (or whatever the new iBooks will be called) now or later.

    I bought a Powerbook a couple of months before the new MacBooks were announced. Did I get hysterical and return my Powerbook? No. Am I happy with my decision? Yes.

    Will you be 100% happy with yourself if you buy a current iBook? I think you'll be happy either way to be honest. :D
  3. balamw Moderator


    Staff Member

    Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    FWIW, one of the things I love about my iBook G4 is the battery life. I can usually get > 4 hours, and often >5 hours for casual use with wireless on!The recent report on the MBP leaves it's battery life at <4 hours, so you might guess that the iBook, even if it does use integrated video as the new mini, will probably have less battery life and run hotter than the current G4s.

    If battery life is important to you, consider the G4.

    I guess the big question is, what do you intend to do with your iBook/MacBook?

  4. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

    Max on Macs

    Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    We know that Apple is releasing all their Intel machines this year. And I thin, it's fair to say the MacBook will come out before the Mac Pro, and I think it's also fair to say that the Mac Pro is most likely to come out at WWDC (as that has often been the time for releasing the pro products) and as such I think we can expect the MacBook this April/May. I would hold off it if you can absolutely afford to, as you know you'll want a MacBook when it comes out. Personally, if I absolutely needed it urgently, I'd buy the iBook now and the MacBook when it comes out so that I had the MacBook for the longest possible life span, but it depends a) if you're financially able to do that and b) if you need it that urgently. Ultimately it's down to you, why you want it, and how important having the latest/fastest/best machine is to you.
  5. TiBoBi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2006
    I work via the web a lot and use a lot of the Office products. Portability is definitely something to consider. Right now I find myself without connectivity when I need it the most so I want something that is light enough to cart around but big enough to replace my PC at home. The whole iBook vs MacBook thing to me is like buying a new 2007 car before it hits the showroom only in this situation you don't really get a better deal on purchasing the outgoing model. I guess that speaks to Macs holding their value though.


Share This Page