Thinking about getting an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by grizzen, Dec 6, 2011.

1. grizzen macrumors newbie

Okay so here's the deal I'm currently running a pc I built in 07 to stream my media to my ps3 via ps3 media server on a kubuntu setup. I am looking to replace this with an iMac but i fall into the obvious problem that is, the imac has no room for more internal drives. So I guess my question is would a firewire 800 setup be enough to keep up with HD video streaming? My other thought was to get a mac pro. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

FW800 is what professional editor use, so no worries it will be fast enough. A Mac Pro would be overkill for a media center.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

firewire 800 can support HD video streaming with throughputs up to 800Mbps. or multiple synchronous normal def video, so the interface isn't an issue.

If you have the money building your own mac pro is an option and fun, and ensures what you get. But this is expensive and will likely set you back 4-5000 (I once spent $8000 on Mac Pro set up without displays etc for a client)

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Even an imac seems like overkill. A mac mini might better suit your needs, seeing that you already have an existing screen, keyboard and mouse.

5. jvpython macrumors 6502

The base model iMac isn't that much more expensive than a top end Mac Mini and definitely a lot more powerful. But the Mac Pro would indeed be too much for your use. Go with the iMac + Firewire (Which is fast enough for movie streaming) and the iMac unlike the Mac Pro has thunderbolt incase you ever decide to get thunderbolt storage which would be blazing fast.

6. grizzen thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I also would like to be able to run parallels for work in arcmap. Currently do this on my MBP. I'm probably going to end up ordering a i7 imac by friday. So as far as firewire goes i currently have a 1tb internal sata drive that would need to be attached to the imac. Is there any recommended enclosures?
    thanks for all the replies!

7. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Check macsales.com for an enclosure

And just point out, g-technology makes some great looking external HDDs