Thinking about getting an iPad, but before I do.. should I buy a sticker for it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gamecube117, Aug 13, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

I don't want the screen to get scratched since it's the most important part of the iPad, so I would want a screen protector. Is there one someone can recommend?

One thing I'm confused about is why people here don't use screen protectors. I noticed many people here say it's because it ruins the "retina" or something... but I'd rather have the screen protected regardless.

Also, I would want one for the back too. But is the screen protector strong enough to prevent scratches?

2. QBigdavid macrumors newbie

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Screen protectors are subjective, some people are willing to chance scratches because they don't like the way it looks with a protector.

I use one and I have a Belkin Snapshield on the back for a little added protection.

Its more likely that you will scratch the olephobic coating, which I have done before, and it is noticible with use.

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah i didnt mind the look so much, it was the feel of the ipad with the screen protector.

Mines been protector free and still zero scrathes. They are pretty resilient and i have yet to drop my ipad *knocks on wood* my phone seems to be dropped every week.

Just get a smart cover, you'll be fine.

and long live the gamecube lol

5. 617aircav Suspended

I don't use a screen protector as I have a case that covers the screen when not in use. The screen has minor scratches that you cant see with the screen on. It's part of normal wear and tear.

6. WindWaker macrumors regular

I use one, just because I know if a scratch gets on the glass it will get on my nerves :( I use Zagg, which does have an orange peel effect, although I don't mind it all that much-- it's fantastic for my purposes. Maybe Wrapsol as well.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

is your username from zelda? :)

8. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

I have a screen protector because I can get annoyed very easily with scratches. I didn't notice any lowering of screen quality when I put the screen protector on.

It doesn't even look like there is a screen protector on. I also used a screen protector for my older 2nd generation ipod, the protector held up pretty well tbh. Its worth just getting a screen protector for the peace of mind.

Can't really recommend you one, because it came in a bundle with a case and stylus pen

9. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I agree, the smart cover (from Apple) is worth every penny, even more so now that it has been revised to protect the back of the iPad as well.

I also agree that the Gamecube was the last truly FUN console! :D

10. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Recommend a Phonedevil iPad Screen Protector - they are absolutely amazing, especially the Crystal Clear version, it just looks like nothing is on the display.

11. LittleGwen, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I have an iPad without screen protector, only the smart cover. Unlike my iphone, which I put in my bag, pocket, and comes in contact with a lot of things that might scratch it (keys, makeup, etc), my iPad doesn't come in contact with stuff like that. Plus, with the smart cover, I know my screen is covered. When I carried it to school in my back pack, there has never been any problems. I've had my iPad for about a year and a half and there are no scratches on the screen. Even with some abuse from my little cousin. Now, the back... that's a different story. The only regret I have is I should have bought a back protector.

EDIT: Ok, so after posting this, my cousin just took a pencil and used it as a stylus on my iPad.... TT.TT sadly, the glass did not hold up to this abuse so I WILL be purchasing a protector soon.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I have an iPad since May of 2010. I have never put a screen protector on it, forgot to order it initially, and then just... inertia, I guess :eek:

A Belkin case covers the back of mine, and protects the edges, but that's it. The glass has not gotten scratched so far.

I've always put Power Support films on my iPhones. Maybe I should get a screen protector for the iPad while I'm still lucky...

13. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

depends on how well you take care of things. I don't like screen protectors...i would rather risk a scratch then try to see through a screen protector all day long. My iPad 1 I had until iPad 3 came out and I couldn't locate one scratch on the screen when I went to sell it. BUT I also use a folio case that covered the screen when not in use.

If you are rough with your items then I would definitely suggest one, but if not, there is no need.

15. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Had the iPad1 sold it got an iPad2 sold it and now got the new iPad. Never bothered to go for a screen protector

16. Codepiink macrumors regular

I was using a iPad with a naked screen but was getting tired of constantly wiping away fingerprint smudges so I recently purchased the Zagg HD screen protector and love it. Before that I tried one that came with my Incipio iPad 3 case but it was horrible. The Zagg is much more clearer to take advantage of the retina display, AND you have a lifetime warranty with Zagg if anything every happens to the screen protector. How awesome is that?!

17. docprego macrumors 65816

I can't see why you wouldn't. If you purchase a high quality protector it will be literally invisible. Any possible scratches from that point forward will not be on your expensive screen. How can you lose?

18. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I use a Proview case that has a back cover & smart cover, I find it more than enough protection. I dislike the look & feel of screen protectors.

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's not hard to understand why. Most people simply don't care enough to go out and buy one. They just take care of their device. Now you want one for the front and back, so obviously you are different in that regard.

20. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Smart cover works for me. I don't like the feel of screen protectors.

The glass is pretty tough. I don't put screen protectors on anything. iPhone, iPad, Nikon pro cameras,etc. Ymmv, so do what you feel comfortable with.

21. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I'm not gonna chance it. These things are durable, but not scratch proof. Is rather be safe the sorry. And frankly, the clarity of the screen isn't affected at all, as far as I can tell.

I've also got a clear skin on the back and smart cover, which means I retain the lightweight of the iPad while keeping the back protected.

22. takeshi74, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

What type are you looking for? If you want recommendations then give people a frame of reference to work with. Selecting a screen protector is a subjective matter. Screen protector users don't all use the same brand and type of screen protector.

Why does it matter? The decision to use one is also subjective. If a person doesn't want to use one then their preference isn't relevant to you.

Some degrade the image quality of the screen. Typically it's the matte/antiglare/antifingerprint ones that do. Crystal screen protectors typically do not.

You might want to refer to any of the countless prior threads as all this is endlessly rehashed information. You'll find plenty of suggestions for screen protectors that to not affect image quality if that's a priority for you.

Keys do not scratch glass. For a material to scratch another material it has to be harder than the other material. Keys are not harder than glass. If keys are scratching your screen then your screen isn't glass.

Not necessarily. Accidents happen. It all depends on preference and what amount of precautionary measures one is willing to take. In other words, there are people that take care of their items and don't use screen protectors. There are also people that take care of their items and use screen protectors. Your dichotomy is false.

23. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

No need for screen protection

3 iPads zero screen protectors zero scratches

24. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

i put durcell screen protector on my ipad i cant afford to see screen scratched! :apple:

25. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I slapped on a $1.50 screen protector, cheap insurance. Not worth fighting the odds over $1.50.