Thinking about getting an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caMi, Sep 16, 2007.

1. caMi macrumors regular

Well I have an iPod Touch now and the screen is well... CRAP.

I know that you can "fake activate" the iPhone and basically use it as an iPod.

My question for you is: Is it possible for Apple to release a future software upgrade that will prevent you from using the iPhone as an iPod?

2. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I thought the screen of the iPod touch is the same as the iPhones screen. :confused:

3. mongoose8p macrumors regular

that the golden question I have an iPhone running on tmobile andim screwed if they dissable unlocked phones so all we can do is wait until they release the update which should b tmrow....

4. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Umm... sure, that's something Apple COULD do. And if you thought the uproar after the price drop was bad, just wait!

Is it likely? About as likely as Apple deciding to release a future version of OS X to disable all Internet access. :rolleyes:

5. caMi thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently not.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

they don't.

7. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Just to let you guys know, I bought an iPhone 3 days ago and it has the same screen issue as the iPod touch (problem displaying blacks).

So my guess is all new iPhones and Touch products are now using the same screen.

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

word on the street is that the 1.1.1 firmware update that will give access to the online store will also prevent this activation work around. Apple has no issues with people hacking the phone, but when it comes to unlocking it they see that as a big deal.

And if you don't like the touch screen you will not like the iPhone screen, it's the same thing.

9. caMi thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I did not know it had the same problem.

Maybe I just need to learn to get over it then... There is no way I can go back to a regular iPod after using this device.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Uh....not the same thing at all. Apple doesn't partner with your ISP to provide you internet. They partnered with ATT to provide phone service. They are under NO obligation to continue to allow a third party unlock to work. Apple sells you OSX and basically allows it to work with all wifi and ethernet standards. Apple does not promise you your iphone will work with any provider except ATT. I'd say its a 60/40 chance they'll break the unlock with the next few updates. And I don't necessarily think it will be on purpose per se, they just won't go out of the way to avoid it. We'll see.

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

of course they will disable unlocking.

They get a cut from every AT&T customer's monthly bill.

Sure you get people buying iphones who otherwise might not but over the course of a 2 year contract, even if they are only getting a 10% cut and everyone had the base plan for $59.99 you're looking at $143.98.

They're not going to allow that revenue to be hijacked if they can help it.

12. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

They might and probably will re-lock the iphones but I'm sure a new unlocking method will be discovered.

13. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

that's usually how these things go. Just saying they aren't going to simply give up on that AT&T revenue.

14. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Whoa there... The OP asked if Apple would disable iPod functionality, WHICH IS A BASIC FEATURE OF THE IPHONE! There was nothing in his question about hacking to use an another network.

If you think about it, why the heck would Apple care if you spent $100 more for an equivalent iPhone, only to use the iPod features? THEY DON'T!

They only care about unlocking to use on another carrier.

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

What information are you basing that conclusion on?

They formed an exclusive deal with AT&T and without activation or a hack, the ipod doesn't function which tells me apple cares plenty or they wouldn't have done it that way.

They could have chosen to simply sell an unlocked phone and let people have at it.

They didn't. To assume that they went through all that trouble to sell it the way they are but don't care if it is bypassed seems to completely ignore their entire business model.

16. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Regardless of this unlocking and locking, hacking and unhacking... If you're trying to find a way around, there's always going to be the chance that your methods gonna break.

Also, if you're ok with the functions of the current firmware, just don't brick the iPhone and you're set to go with your iPod functions without activation.

17. Goldenbear macrumors regular

I think we're talking about two very different things here.

The OP was talking about using an iPhone AS AN IPOD ONLY! NOTHING was ever mentioned about hacking to use on another network in the original post!

So, if Apple is selling an iPod Touch, which is basically an iPhone without phone (and a few minor) features for $100 less, why in the world would they care if someone pays the extra $100, but doesn't use it as a phone?

Does Apple care if you buy a $5000 Mac Pro setup, just to use it for syncing your iPod? THEY DON'T!

18. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Because the entire iPhone business model is based upon Apple gaining revenue from monthly contractual charges made by people using the AT&T service with their iPhone -- the iPod touch is not.

Buying a $5000 mac pro to sync an ipod is not a valid analogy. There is no end around future revenues by buying more computer than you need for a job.

What it is sort of like is if you bought an XBox 360 and pirated all of your software and never bought a game. They sell those consoles cheap to hopefully gain money on game purchases. If you're buying a console which the company loses money on or breaks even and they never recoup any revenue from you buying games for the console, they won't do very well or be particularly happy.

19. padmasana macrumors member

padmasana

I've had my iPhone set up as a wifi iPod since early July. I bought it early even though I have a Sprint contract that doesn't expire until later this month.
    The iPhone hacks work great and you probably won't have any problems. Just don't apply new Apple software updates until the hackers checked them out and resolved any issues they cause. This means you might "wait out" an Apple update or skip it all together.
    Good luck and sorry to hear about all the problems with the iPod touch screen.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm happy with my iPhones operation. I don't need to access the Starbucks WiFi. I won't do anymore updates to it...

I would imagine others would do the same...

21. GTiPhone macrumors regular

DO IT....seriously.

Do not get an iPod Touch, it is the single worst device ive ever seen in Apple Store........seriously. Cheesy, plastic, low quality. Looks, feels, functions NOTHING like the iPhone.

At $399 it is an absolute JOKE. Just get an iPhone.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I decided on the $299 4Gig iPhone instead. Best thing ever done. Only because I can unlock it onto T-Mobile. But also, you can just "activate" it and use it as a PDA, not having to worry about hacking the iPod Touch. But then there's the question that if you do hacks, you have to be cautious of updates.

23. iApplemasteru macrumors newbie

what i think

i dont think it is possible to do that part of the iphone is an ipod, and i think that they have to keep that:eek: