Thinking about getting an iphone...question about using iphones outside of 3g network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBook-Gal, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

I am thinking about getting an iphone, but the problem is that I live outside of the speedy 3g network. I still have access to the slower at&t wireless network that is not actually 3g, and I am wondering if it would be possible for me to download music, listen to streaming radio and video etc. with the slower internet connection. Has anyone here tried doing this?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes, it is possible. Yes, it is slower than crap.

3. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

Slow as in dial up slow? I can't download movies or stream music on my home network because I use satellite internet. And satellite internet providers like to punish people who download large files by slowing down the service to slower than dialup speeds. :mad:

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

If you have to use satellite to get internet, chances are you will be on Edge of even slower.

From the little information I have gathered from your post, sounds like you are trying to tether as well, which would be a moot point for you.

5. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I live in an EDGE only valley on the other side of civilization. (I would love it if they would upgrade our cell tower, but I am guessing that there is not enough users in our little valley to warrant the expense.) I use Pandora streaming over EDGE when I am out mowing on the tractor ... works fine and does not skip/stutter. Video (YouTube) on the other hand tends to have to stop and wait for more to download before continuing. I used a 4GB first generation iPhone for two years and the EDGE network, was slow, but very usable for my browsing and music listening needs. While the AT&T 3G network does download stuff faster, it often cuts in/out and the first byte latency for things like web pages seems to be about the same on Edge and 3G networks.

6. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

actually, I don't live that far out in the sticks, the cell phone signals are for the most part strong where I live, but I don't have access to 3g.

I'm not planning on trying to tether, but it would be nice to have access to streaming music and download videos through the iphone if the connection would be fast enough.

7. jointsmoking macrumors regular

I have a 1st gen iphone (edge) and I do all of that on a daily basis. Yes. Yes, you can.

8. MacBook-Gal thread starter macrumors regular

That's cool that you are able to use pandora through the EDGE network. No skipping or sputtering sounds better than my satellite connection usually is when attempting to play streaming music.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With EDGE though, the sound quality it a fair bit worse than on 3G, at least with AOL Radio.

I benchmark ~180kbps (~22KBps) on EDGE around SF on average :(