Thinking about Getting an old iMac???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JonyIveRulez, Oct 12, 2014.

1. JonyIveRulez macrumors newbie

Ok so I am thinking about getting an old iMac, I think it is a G3 or a G4 cube but I want to know if it's worth getting. Because basically I am an :apple: fan and I (atm) want to get a vintage iMac (the G3/G4 cube) but I dont know what I would do with it. could I use it for gaming (old macintosh games)? Of course music but is it actually worth it?

JonyIveRulez

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I recently got an iMac G4. They have good speakers, so it is a great for music using iTunes. More interesting than a standard stereo.

3. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

only reason to get one of those is if you're a collector, and have no plans on actually using it. if you're looking to buy an actual mac which you want to use, but want to save money, then consider building a hackintosh instead.

4. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I would buy a cube and a dome-flat panel imac.

5. daviesaz macrumors newbie

If I had a Cube, I'd replace the guts with the circuitry of a Mac Mini (assuming it fits) and amaze my friends.

6. JonyIveRulez thread starter macrumors newbie

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They're nice machines to look at, but no substitute for a modern Mac to use. I've always loved the design of the iMac G4. It's also a bit more powerful then the Cube and less rare so it can be found for a cheaper price. It should play any Mac-compatible games from its time just fine and with the external speakers delivers decent sound quality.

Or buy one, gut it, and turn it into a hackintosh; some people have done that, especially with the Cubes. That being said, the OP kind of hinted at wanting to leave it as originally intended.

---

Next time post a question like this in the PPC forum, you'll get a lot more responses from people like me who actually have PPC Macs.