iPad mini thinking about getting iPad mini 1, mkv question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nedley09, Feb 10, 2014.

1. nedley09 macrumors newbie

Do what is the mkv 720/1080 hi10 playback quality on the a5 iPad mini?

2. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Xeyad, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

Xeyad macrumors 6502

I have a 1st gen iPad Mini, and I mainly use it for video.

I'm happy to report that the A5-powered iPad Mini can play 720p and 1080p MKVs with a simple app: AVPlayerHD.

Not only that, AVPlayerHD actually has FTP streaming as well. Also happy to report that the 1st gen iPad Mini is also capable of streaming 1080p MKVs through this app.

https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8

4. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome! So i can get the lightning HDMI adapter and mirror it to my HD tv? I have the LG G Pad 8.3 right now but the lack of hdmi output bugs me

5. Xeyad macrumors 6502

I never tried HDMI out. I have the adapter, so I'll try it out tomorrow and see if it works and plays smoothly.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

I use VLC on my iPad mini. Seems to be able to play just about any file type.

7. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you both. I cant wait to hear about the hdmi playback

8. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

any news on what you tried out?

9. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy with a few things. Anyways, I've tried connecting it to the TV. Here is the result:

You can play 720p and 1080p MKVs (local and streaming) on the 1st gen iPad Mini connected to the TV, but you must consider the following:
    - To get the video playing in full screen on your TV, you must select 1080p resolution in TV settings inside the AVPlayer app.
    - You must use the Hardware (H/W) Decoding option. Meaning it will use more battery for it to play smooth. Software Decoding is too slow for the iPad Mini.
    - While scrubbing, the app crashed a few times. So if you're planning to watch something, just let it play and don't scrub.
    - I played a few TV show episodes and a movie. I noticed that it will stutter a few times during a big file like a movie. On top of that, I noticed in fast-action scenes, the app will drop a few FPS; like if the movie is 24 fps, you'll see some drops to like 22 or 21 fps. Some scenes felt that they were being dropped slightly.

Overall, it's certainly playable while connected to the TV. There aren't any issues with audio sync, which is pretty great. However, I'd say this is more for casual playing, like playing a TV show episode or 2. I wouldn't recommend it too much for playing action movies, because a) the hardware decoding + TV output will suck out A LOT of battery and b) you will notice some stuttering.

Of course, this is only with the iPad connected to the TV. As far as playing them on the actual iPad Mini display, everything is as smooth as butter.

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

A slightly more expensive, but awesome setup is getting an Apple TV over the HDMI out adapter.

You can airplay anything to it with any iPad or iOS device. Hell, you could even do it with your phone.

I airplay MKVs being transcoded using air video HD straight to my TV in full 1080p glory.

11. nedley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not know you can stream MKV to the apple tv....interesting.

I decided to forgo getting the mini 1 and got a killer deal on a new sealed mini retina for $300 lol.

So i am assuming the A7 64bit will handle what i am looking to do easier