Thinking about getting ipod touch but . . .

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Liebo11, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Liebo11 macrumors member

Hey guys my u2 photo ipod is broke so i'm thinking about getting a new ipod and want to go with the touch cause of all the features...a few things i have questions about and other stuff...should i get the 8 gig or 16 gig for only the 100 dollars more? Do i not want 1.1.3 and why not? Also I'm gonna get the 10% for my old ipod return so thats pretty cool i guess...any opinions or answers would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

8 GB is enough for me. Even though my Library dwarfs that. I usually just carry what I'm currently into. And now that the apps come one them, there is no reason to hack it unless you want the emulators and other apps.

3. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I'd probably spend the extra to get double the storage capacity... I switched from an old 2GB 1st gen Nano to the 16GB Touch and was surprised how quickly I could fill it with videos.

I got my Touch on the day 1.1.3 came out, so that's all I've known... can't help there. :p

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The 8GB model should be enough if you sync everyday. You can load what you want for the day.

However, for only $100 more, double the memory capacity can sure come in handy. Especially if you want to load a bunch of apps.

5. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Yeah jeeze, I got like 3gigs of just Podcasts :|

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I must agree with those who suggest getting the 16 gig. I think its definitely worth the extra $100 to double the HD size. It's easy to fill up with movies and pics. So I say go for it if you can afford it!

7. br1anc macrumors regular

i say if you have the extra $100 then go ahead and buy the 16 gig.

8. Renator macrumors member

I'd go with the 16 gig. I don't have that big an audio or video collection, but I'm glad a got it. I sync often because I use the calendar a lot and need to keep it up to date. I pretty much just sync the tunes and pics I want to carry around with me.

If you've got the extra $100, go for it.

9. aft macrumors regular

go with the 16gb

You probably don't have a choice on 1.1.3 unless you are buying used from Ebay or something as all of the new ones will have 1.1.3 and the January software update. 1.1.3 is nice unless you plan to hack and even then I think they have fixed most of the hacks... but I don't follow that closely because I'm not going to hack.

Buy a case or 2 screen protectors (one for each side) if you are picky about scratches on the back, my brother got his replaced (bad headphone jack) and when he got his new one he slapped on a screen protector on the back and I'm jealous.

10. Liebo11 thread starter macrumors member

nice nice . . . good suggestion on the screen protectors . . . i think i am gonna go with the 16 gig actually . . . looking pretty forward to it . . . how is the quality of the apps and videos?

11. nintapple macrumors member

try posting your broken ipod on craigslist before you let apple have it for just 30 bucks.

12. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have the 16 and that was the right choice for me. I've put a few movies and tv shows on mine. That doesn't mean you have to load them all on to your Touch, but it's nice to have the option that more space allows.

13. Solesk macrumors member

definetly the 16. videos will fill it quickly.

14. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

16GB no doubt. The touch, to me, isn't even worth buying if you get the 8GB.

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

16gb for sure. I get almost 3000 songs.
    And with the SDK coming out I wouldn't be too worried over third party apps (jailbreaks) even though it is still possible to do. There might be some cool apps that you can get here in the near future from the SDK (for free i hope).

16. calvin2006 macrumors regular

I'd also say get the 16GB version. I have a pretty small library compared to most people on here, and I only have 2GB left on mine.

Also, a screen protector and case are a must. I really like the XtremeMac screen protectors. They are completely invisible to the user and don't change the feel of the screen. They also are only $3/each (they come in 5-packs at Wal-Mart for just under $15) and last a long time.

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

8gb is plenty for me as I sync and swap music everyday. As it is I have more than 500 songs, one tv show, one movie, some photos and still have almost half of my storage space left.
    I had the extra $100 when I bought the 8gb, but I decided to keep it for something else.
    Like was said before, if you sync everday 8gb is fine, if you worry about space get the 16gb and rest easy.:apple:

18. starprincess8 macrumors newbie

starprincess8

Def get the 16GB one! I have 3 movies on mine and some TV shows and music and photos and it is pretty much full now! For only $100 more and twice the capacity, it is WELL worth it! If I only had the 8 GB I would have been kickin myself in the butt right now!:p

19. lpfearn macrumors newbie

Go 16!

I have a set amount of tunes that I keep in the library and like to keep a few gig free for downloading shows or movies for trips. (Check out how much space is used by movies when you download them from itunes.) If you have the extra cash, you won't regret going for the extra memory.

20. Ljubisafilip macrumors newbie

Ipod Touch help(can somebody tell)

I have a plan to buy a Ipod Touch, I wonder can i used file(scan all book) and watch the file on the Ipod Touch. Can somebody tell can i use this option on the Ipod Touch.:confused:

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i just use a psp one as i find it to be cheaper the the protectors made for the touch

i think the quality is good

22. Chimpy macrumors 6502

With the 8GB model I always have on me at any one time at least:

2 movies
    6+ episodes of video podcasts
    30+ episodes of audio podcasts
    4 audiobooks
    20+ albums

We're talking hundreds of hours of content there. Why on earth would I need more than that?!

23. sers macrumors regular

I bought a 16 GB version and I'm thinking of returning it for an 8. My entire content takes up about 3GB max, plus I sync at least once a week. Once I'm done with a movie, I remove it. Movies aren't like music - you only watch it once and then you're done with it. You can listen to music over and over again.

With the extra $100, I can get a case, screen protector, whatever....

24. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

That was my thinking as well.