Thinking about getting MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bolsen78, Oct 19, 2010.

1. bolsen78 macrumors regular

I am currently using a Macbook that is 2 years old. I love it but I want a new one. I was wondering about this Bootcamp thing? I watched a video on it. But is it something you pay for or something that is already in the MBP? It would be nice to have windows and Safari on one laptop as I have a Dell (which I hate!!) and my macbook. I honestly love apples laptops a lot better than I do Dell or anything else. My Dell is a year old and I already have had to restore it 4 times to factory settings and I am unsure why I am not that good with electronics. I would only need the 13' laptop. Is it worth getting? Can someone explain this whole Bootcamp thing better?

Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Bootcamp is already on your computer, but you have to provide (buy) the copy of windows to install. Bootcamp is simply the means of installing windows easily on a mac, in fact you can do that with your current machine.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

All you need is Windows disc. Go to Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Utility and it will tell you what to do. Basically, all what that utility does is partition your HD and restart the computer for you

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

4. BenFL macrumors member

Bootcamp allows you to restart your computer into Windows7 (or whatever version you purchase) do what you need to do, and restart again to get back to OS X. It temporarily turns your Mac into a PC.

Then there is Parallels. Which allows you to run windos in a window (or fullscreen) without having to restart.

Bootcamp is free and comes with, Parallels is $80.

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Alternatively, you could opt to purchase Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion which will let you virtual windows machines side-by-side with the Mac OS. No need for restarts and you can work in both environments simultaneously.

6. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Bootcamp is a utility that is included with all new Macs. You need to have a copy of the Windows software to install, though. It will allow you to boot into either OS X or Windows simply by holding down a certain key while booting up. You can install Windows-compatible software, and use it when you're in Windows mode.

Is it worth it to upgrade? That depends on your needs. The 13" Macbook Pro will probably be faster than what you have now, and give you an SD card slot and a better-looking screen. Also, you'll naturally get more battery life, since the battery will be new. If you work in a professional setting, then you may also prefer the 13" for its more professional look (in my opinion). If you have the money and you have a clear need, I say go for it. But if it's not urgent, you could always wait until the next refresh (also, see if Apple brings out any products tomorrow that interest you).

7. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

I would need the windows for college courses that I take online. Some of my classes I have are not compatible with Safari. Which is why I have the Dell but I HATE the Dell it is extremely slow and restoring it and everything else is a pain in the a$$!! I wish my college would fix that so I can just use Safari or Apple in general. I love Apple. I do have the money to upgrade but just to the 13'. I am thinking of going to the Apple Store and taking a look at the MBP and asking questions about the bootcamp thing as well. Thanks for the quick replies as well. Probably will have a brand new laptop tomorrow!! So excited!!!

8. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Give firefox a try; it is for both mac os x and windows so most websites support it.

9. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! i do have Firefox on my Macbook to but never gave it a thought to use that instead of my Dell. But I asked on live chat and probably will go with the MBP. Thanks to everyone for the replies I appreciate the help on this site so much!!

10. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

Bootcamp is great to have, i have it on my 13" MBP and game on it. Brilliant Apple!