Thinking about getting my dad an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Diamons, May 10, 2011.

1. Diamons macrumors newbie

Right so I'm saving up money from my part time job and I'm looking to get my dad an iPad. He's a heavy Windows user for e-mail/web browsing/buying stuff online and asks me sometimes how to forward emails, how to find certain info, etc. His computer runs on a P4 2.8 GHz with 512MB RAM. I was thinking of getting a new PC for him but I think an iPad would just be better.

I really feel the intuitive UI of the iPad would be ideal for him. He's about 52 years old and I remember it took me about a week to master my first iPod Touch.

Would the iPad be good for my dad? Would he find it easy to use? For buying stuff online, e-mail, and browsing the web, just how ideal and easy would the iPad be for a 52 year old man?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

The iPad is quite intuitive, and if all he cares about is web browsing and email and stuff then it's not a bad idea. I could never stand to have an iPad as my only computer, but for a lot of non-geek it can serve the purpose.
    iPad price is quite competitive with most low end PCs too

3. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

4. murphle macrumors newbie

My siblings and I got together and bought our dad an iPad 1 for christmas last year. He really loved it and walks around showing it off all the time (sigh .... old fathers and their tech gadgets.) He uses it mostly when he's out of the office, for checking email, browsing news sites, etc. And he keeps some photo albums on it, of recent trips taken, to show friends/relatives.

He had never owned an iphone or ipod or any mac products before in his life. Our whole family is 100% PC users (haha please don't stone me.) There was a bit of a learning curve for the old guy, but he just liked how portable the iPad was.

Btw I think it's really nice and awesome of you to do this :)

My only suggestion is that if you have time, walk him through installing iTunes on his computer, and show him how to transfer files between PC & iPad. Also if you have time, set up his email accounts for him.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest a Honeycomb device. As previously mentioned, new Galaxy Tab would be a great idea.

The reason behind this, is widgets. For someone who's not very tech inclined, setting up widgets with email, calendar, weather and news on main screen would be great. All you have to do is turn it on and "essential" things are right there. There's no need to go through 2-3 apps to get basic info, and it should be easier for non-techies.

Also, a big plus would be that it does not require a computer. I am very technical person, and I still think that iTunes is counter-intuitive. iPad needs to be connected to a computer with internet access before you can do anything. Honeycomb is ready to go out of the box.

I am sure that I would get flamed, since I am posting this in Apple-centric forum, but this is my honest opinion.

6. tekker macrumors regular

Yes, wait until reviews come out for this. As much as the iPad is cool for apps and all, if your father wants some serious productivity done, he should check out this.

If your father just wants light browsing, email, and maybe some apps, then iPad 2 is for him.

inb4 fanboy, the new Galaxy Tabs are very thin and lightweight, but most importantly, they have Adobe Flash Player (very important to some) and a filesystem/ability to mount it to your computer to drag and drop files.

7. Janet1 macrumors member

My mom's in her 70s. I sent my iPad 1 to her in Florida, and she didn't have any problems with it at all. Although I did sync and set it up for her before I sent it, along with my itunes account so she could install itunes on her netbook and continue backing up and syncing to that, which she figured out, all on her own.

8. Diamons thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm against Android because of how clunky it is and the million devices out there.

9. gatearray macrumors 65816

I have an application called Goodreader on the iPad. I send/receive all kinds of files to store on my iPad except I do it wirelessly over the network through any web browser. When they are on my iPad, I can open them into other apps. Do I have a file system? :)

And yes, wait for the Samsung Galaxy tab v2, I'm sure it will be just awesome, if history is any guide, like when we waited for the RIM Playbook that came before it, and waited for the Moto Xoom that came before that, and first learned to wait for the Galaxy tab v1 way back when. Buying your dad the existing, genre-defining, best selling, proven success of a tablet would just be stupid.

/sarcasm

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Granted, right this moment it's not as fluid as iPad, but more functional out of the box. Give it a try.

And whats wrong with "million devices"

If you already ruled out android, was there a point to this thread?

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

12. Diamons thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'd like to make this as simple for him as possible. Android apps are buggy, lack the high quality of iOS apps, and all the features would just be too complicated for him.

I want to get him off his old machine and bring him up to speed. Complicating things for him would just turn him off from the new technology, and I believe that's what Android is going to do for him.

iOS (imo), has been simple and inuitive for me since my first iPod Touch to my 4G iPod Touch. That's why I'm thinking about an iPad for him, I've come to rely on Apple for simplicity and it just working.

The widgets, the file system, I feel that it'd require too much on his part to learn. As we all know, as the years get to you your learning ability declines and you become resistant to new technology.

13. DocAlamo macrumors newbie

Don't know if this will help or not, but I am a dad and a grandpa of five! I bought an iPad last year, mainly because it looked like fun and my son, who is 40, told me I might enjoy using it. I absolutely loved it. I have been a Windows guy ever since there was Windows, and I took to the iPad like a duck takes to water. But, be careful, these Apple things are addicting. My wife loved mine, so I bought her a new iPad 2 an just had to get me one as well ... we gave our original iPad to one of our grandkids. Then, because we enjoyed the iPad so much, we ditched our windows machines and got an iMac and a Macbook Air. THEN, we went with the iPhones when they became available on Verizon

So, moral of the story ... these Mac products are SO easy to use. If you get your dad an iPad, I am sure he would love the thought and would most likely enjoy using it. I know we have!

Doc

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Bought my mom one for mothers day and she masters the Internet and YouTube in a day the rest she won't use but I'm sure she can use it, my dad got one from work and he master the web, email, iPod and video. Thats all he will ever need but I'm sure he can do it if he wanted. Trust me it's easy to use and can do almost everything, he will love it

15. tekker macrumors regular

Not sure what kind of point you're trying to prove with your post... just because there's an app for that, doesn't mean it makes up for the lack of functionality for the device. And no, you still don't have a filesystem, only a file viewer. You really still don't have as much access to your files as much as you would an Android device.

And your little rant about waiting...? I think you're being a little obnoxious. Sure, the iPad is the best selling tablet out there, but that doesn't mean it caters to everyone's needs. I'm merely telling OP to wait a month to check out the competition so that his father can have a more enjoyable experience.

16. Diamons thread starter macrumors newbie

With all due respect I can't think of an Android device that has amazed me beyond the Asus Transformer.

17. Meanee macrumors 6502a

New galaxy tab seems to be very aesthetically pleasing. It's not out yet but engadget has a hands on, from google I/O event. Take a look at that.