Thinking about getting Sanyo Xacti HD-1010, imovie compatability?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MezicanGangxtah, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

So im thinking about getting the Sanyo Xacti HD-1010 for some video projects and stuff, and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this camera? Personally I think spec wise its pretty good, but im looking to see if what other people think of it.

Also this is a biggy for me, i want to be able to edit my footage very easily and dislike using 3rd-party apps to convert video to other formats, so would this work with imovie? i have imovie HD and imovie 08' but dislike the fact that 08' version has like no special effects and is harder to work with with certain things.Also i want my video quality to stay the same as i recorded with so i dont know if imovie does this but does it sometimes convert input video into lower quality?

Thanks alot, its greatly appreciated.

(P.S. i might be getting final cut express soon, does that have more formats it can work with?)

2. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I believe the previous model of the xacti worked fine with clicking & dragging footage to iMovie, so I don't see how the 1010 would take a step back and not work that way. I was SO close to buying that before the HV20.
    But of course, I'd wait a bit until it's in the wild and the reviews come rolling out.

3. MezicanGangxtah thread starter macrumors regular

Thanx so much! that really helps towards my buying decision,although i will wait a bit longer for an extensive review to come out,just to make sure. I just really want something that records in HD and is compact and doesnt record to tape.And this is the closest that fits the bill spec wise and can afford financialy.

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Stronger Penalties for Aesthetic / Firearm-Envy Crimes?

All very well and good, but the Sanyo's an aesthetic crime - one you might even get shot for by some trigger-happy gangsta with poor eyesight.

;)

5. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Hahah, I've read some stories about police stopping people from recording in public because they thought it was a gun.

6. MezicanGangxtah thread starter macrumors regular

haha well its just a risk ill take :D

7. MezicanGangxtah thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have experience with this camera or its predecessor? any other camcorders you might recommend that are in this category?

8. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

9. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

For a rainy day?

If you want to check other people's experience with the SD9 / HD9, there are 61 pages of forum discussion here. It's a UK site but there's plenty of info (including problems) there.

Andrew.

10. MezicanGangxtah thread starter macrumors regular

Well the the SD9 certainly seems like a nice camcorder I especcialy like the 24p mode it has. Although I do wish it had an external mic, other than that it looks like a swell camcorder.Reviews dont seem to be bad so that good. But I dont think its format is compatible with imovie 06' without converting it,and as I stated before I hate that, and although I probably will get FCE, ive heard that the 24p mode isn't preserved and the resoltion doesnt go all the way up to 1980x1080 is this true?