Thinking about getting the iPad 2 (resale value?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tbm248, Oct 18, 2011.

  1. tbm248 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    So, in recent days / weeks, I've been getting really hyped up about purchasing an iPad2. As I'm sure some of you can relate, once you start really wanting something, it gets to the point where you have to have it. Now, I currently have an iPhone 4 which I love, and am thinking an iPad2 will be useful to me for other things, and is something I want to purchase.

    That's all good and well, but obviously with the iPad3 potentially coming out in the Spring, I like many others, find myself in a bit of a quandary.

    I don't want to jump in with the iPad2, only to see the iPad3 come out a few months later, making it better to have waited. However, without an actual date and only speculation, it's tough waiting it out.

    So, my question here is, what do you think the projected resale value of the iPad2 will be once the iPad3 is announced / released? With the iPhone's, there is at least some history we can look back on since there have been generations of them, and we can see how much the "older" model sold for after a newer model was introduced. Not sure what the situation with the iPad's are though. What were people able to sell their original iPad's for when the 2 was announced?

    I was thinking of going with the 16 GB / wifi iPad2, and if I am able to sell it "losing" only $100, and then purchasing the iPad3, that would be a win in my book.

    What do you guys think?

    Opinions / advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks.
     
  2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

    wrinkster22

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto
    #2
    if you sell it a week before it is rumoured you will likely not lose much if it is in condition.
     
  3. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #3
    Interesting. I certainly keep my products (especially the ones I really care about, i.e. the iPhone 4!) in great condition, so that wouldn't be a problem with the iPad either.

    But are you saying I'd have to constantly checking the rumor mil for when the announcement will come for iPad3? That always seems like a hassle (at least with the iPhone's) since there are an infinite amount of rumors. How much do you think the price will drop after the announcement is official?
     
  4. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #4
    Based on Apple's history with other products, especially the iPhone, I would expect the iPad 3 to be a more minor bump. It will probably get the A6 processor, and other bumps (better cameras, etc.) but I expect it to be rather minor and likely have the same design as the iPad 2.
     
  5. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #5
    Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.

    I know I'm waiting on the iPhone 5 and am thinking it's going to be an epic phone. Heh, maybe I have my expectations set a little too high, but I'll definitely be upgrading to the 5 whenever it comes out.

    But without knowing much about the iPad and their current product cycle, just figured for some reason they also were going to come out with an awesome upgrade to the iPad line this upcoming year. Though, if the improvements are more minor, I wouldn't be as concerned jumping in with the iPad2.

    I'd still be curious though what kind of losses people took on the original iPad when they sold them to help pay for the iPad2.
     
  6. macinnv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2011
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #6
    I sold my iPad 1 about 3 weeks prior to announcement and broke even on ebay. Taking into consideration fees, I lost about $60-70. For me its worth it do this every year.
     
  7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #7
    It's not a fixed thing and there are plenty of variables that affect what you can resell your iPad for. Don't view it from the investment/resale perspective.
     
  8. vitzr macrumors 68030

    vitzr

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #8
    If you've got to sell it in order to afford it's replacement, your pushing your financial limits. Is it really that crucial?

    If you don't have to sell to afford it, then you're better off. Yet that said anytime I see someone evaluating a decision based on resale it gives me the impression they're strapped for cash.

    Good Luck :)
     
  9. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #9
    Was it a happy coincidence that you sold prior to the announcement, or did you know when the announcement was coming and sold in advance?

    I'm certain if I get an iPad I'll be keeping up with the rumor mill and try and figure out the best time sell, but honestly, I'd try to minimize the time between selling and getting a new iPad, so I'm sure I'd take more of a hit in price than you did.

    However, by chance do you know how much iPad 1's were selling for in the immediate days following the announcement?

    ----------

    It's actually not crucial at all that I be able to sell it in order to afford the replacement, heh.

    I just try to be fiscally sensible when I can, as honestly although I could afford either iPad without needing to resell, I just want to make sure I'm not making a foolish decision that in a few months I'll be sitting here and saying "gosh, wish I waited for the iPad3!". The resell angle is mainly because I obviously want to have "the latest and greatest" (I'm normally not one of those people, but for this, sadly I'm weak).

    More than anything I'm just trying to get a gauge for how much I can expect for an iPad2 following the announcement for the iPad3. I've gotten myself so hyped up recently about getting an iPad2, that I probably will go ahead and get it, and see how things play out in the coming months, but before I did so, definitely wanted to hear everyone's opinion.
     
  10. RByers89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Location:
    Indiana
    #10
    1st gen iPads are still going for about $100 less then iPad 2 equivalent on eBay. I just bought a 2 last week and my girlfriend just got a 2 about a month ago. Rather have one for the next year and buy new then sell this one off or hand it down then wait and not have one.
     
  11. Sapphire08 macrumors member

    Sapphire08

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2008
    Location:
    England UK
    #11
    Great thread - I'm also wanting to get an ipad 2 and wondered about waiting - so I guess the answer for us -is just get one lol
     
  12. jaikob macrumors 6502

    jaikob

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2008
    Location:
    Freeland, MI
    #12
    I sold my original iPad for about $70 less than retail price. A used device. The next day, iPad 2 was released, and the originals went for $100 dollars less. Unfortunately the lady that purchased my iPad just bought used for roughly the same amount she could have bought new if she would have waited a day.

    I plan on upgrading my iPad 2 to iPad 3 when it comes out. Hopefully they will release a 120GB or 80 GB option for storage. I do know that if you plan on purchasing a 3G model, buy the GSM version. These sell better and for more than the CDMA verizon ones. Also, if you plan on purchasing AppleCare this also increases the resale value.

    As long as you sell it before an announcement, you will either break even or be close to doing so.

    Some may ask why I plan on selling, well, I use my iPad constantly. Course books, pages, email, and I use Invoice2Go for all of my freelance work. I am also an iOS developer so the greatest is always nice to have.
     
  13. MallCop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #13
    Sold my iPad 1 the day the iPad 2 was announced for $100 less than I paid after fees and shipping. You have until the 5 o'clock news on the announce day before everyone knows about it.
     
  14. jazzer15, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

    jazzer15 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2010
    #14
    Is this really true if you are in the US and selling to someone in the US? I see/hear this a lot and yes, the GSM has a somewhat broader audience due to the ability to swap the sim card outside the US, but from what I have seen on ebay, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference in resale prices between the AT&T and Verizon iPad 2 models (although I haven't looked extensively).
     
  15. MallCop macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    #15
    Yes the GSM version will always be worth more. Same goes for the iPhone 4, in some cases the GSM version is going for over $100 more.
     
  16. tbm248 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2009
    #16
    That's reassuring. Like I said, while I don't "need" to resell it to afford the new one, it certainly is good to hear in terms of my efforts of being fiscally responsible.

    If I'm taking $100 loss even after the iPad3 is being sold, then I certainly won't feel bad about buying early.

    ----------

    haha that's what I seem to have gathered as well.

    ----------

    cool, thanks for the info. I just wanted to get a gauge of what I can expect to get for it if I were to sell and go for the iPad3.

    Paying essentially $100 extra to use iPad2 for the next however many months until iPad3 is out, isn't bad at all. Plus, no telling if the 3 will be worth going through the hassle of selling the current one.

    ----------

    Yeah i'm definitely ok with that. It even seems like after the announcement, the older iPad holds value (granted small sample size) pretty well. Seems like people are saying even once the iPad2 was being sold, the difference between the same models was $100.
     

Share This Page