Thinking about giving Mac another go *Advice*

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MaxwellIreland, Oct 15, 2010.

1. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

Hi Folks

Im currently In the market for a new computer, my current computer is a HP Laptop which I had purchased 2nd hand due to my limited budget. The laptop has seen me well and was built in 2005, but sadly it’s seen its day.

Having had a 12” powerbook In the past and had a bad experience with it, Ive been some what reluctant to purchase another mac for a long time.

I had the power book for a year before a number of problems arose, mainly hardware based (the slot drive, cooling and hard disc.)
    I expected more from something I shelled £1199 of my hard earned money for.

My view for along time is that you get more for your money with PC

But when it comes to Windows OS vs Mac OS,I love Mac, it just works for me.

My most used programs on my pc currently are Itunes and Safari and like its been said before it’s very much like giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell!

I guess what Im looking for from my next computer is a system I can get 2-3 years out of.

Although my computing needs are some what basic (Internet, Itunes, Playing Dvds) I do want a reliable system that wont bleed my wallet dry.

So Im considering giving Mac another go.

If anyone can offer any product advice Id be very grateful.

Thanks
    Maxwell

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you want a laptop or desktop? Any current Mac will be fine for your needs. In fact, any Intel Mac would be fine. If you want a laptop, then I would recommend MacBook or 13" MacBook Pro, they are both sufficient.

If you want to save some money, take a look at refurbs

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would rock either a mac mini or macbook. With basic needs, either of those would be perfect (just depending on the desktop vs. laptop question). You can also get them from the refurb store to save a little money as well, and you would never be able to tell the difference other than the brown box instead of white.

4. MacMau5 macrumors member

wait out the 10-20 event, see what they offer. for now, macbook pro will be enough for you. honestly an ipad would be enough for you lol.

5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Hey Maxwell,

I used to have a HP laptop as well. It was okay but this summer I just purchased my first Mac. I went with the 13" because it fulfills my needs for internet, iTunes and movies (the same as yours). My experience with my first Mac has been great. I love the stability of the OS compared to Windows and the product design is leaps and bounds above my HP. As for problems, I haven't had any major problems at all. The only one problem I've had is WiFi signal strength when using an external display with my laptop closed. Other than that, this thing has been rock solid. I would absolutely say go for the Macbook Pro. I purchased mine from Microcenter because they have a $200 off promotion.

Good luck with your choice!

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a MacBook Pro 13" and I find it extremely robust. The only little thing I dislike about it is the absence of a separate audio input (the single audio port is for both in and out).
    At $1,199, it's great value.

7. MaxwellIreland thread starter macrumors member

I have a new iPod touch which is great for my needs when it comes to portability so my preference would be a desktop. Options therfore being a mac mini or IMac. But yeah plan is to see what comes of the next apple announcement.

Mac mini looks great and I like that I have more choice when it comes to monitor,keyboard etc

iMac is incredibly good value though.

If budget is tight I did also consider the iPad,thing that concerns me about that is can you actually back up your files and I have all my media on an external harddrive.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get iMac over Mini. Mini is a good choice if you already have monitor etc but if you need to buy those peripherals, the total will be about the same as iMac's price and iMac is more powerful.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Virtually certain no new desktops next week because they were refreshed just a few months ago.

The basic 21.5" iMac would suit just fine and gives the most performance per dollar of any Mac (once you add in the cost of monitor/keyboard/mouse to the mini). $1019 in the Apple Refurbished store.

10. Perdification macrumors regular

Mac Mini has poorer performance than the iMac. The iMac is what you need if you need performance, aside from talking about Mac Pro beast. Mac Minis' graphics is certainly worse than the iMacs', so depending on your needs, choose whichever you think would suit you best.