Thinking About Going Back to Backgrounder

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tctony, Jan 14, 2011.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

After using it for a while, I'm starting to dislike iOS' multitasking - namely that it doesn't release memory and ends up crashing apps. I thought iOS was supposed to release memory when another app needs it, but I haven't found this to be the case. I shouldn't have to use the Processes toggle in SBSettings all the time.

Anyway, I liked it better when I chose what was going to be backgrounded, and for how long etc etc.

Thoughts?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I gave up on the native multitasking and went back to backgrounder after using iOS4.0 for less than a week.

3. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

There is nothing wrong with using backgrounder in conjunction with ios4. It works really well and gives you ultimate flexibility!

4. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you really gave it a fair chance.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I used it enough. Why does every single app get backgrounded by default? Its rediculous. With Backgrounder the only time an app is backgrounded is if I want it to be. It makes a difference in battery life too.

6. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I use both in conjunction with each other. Works great, and I agree the default multitasking doesn't always seem to release memory. Plus I like being able to decide what gets backgrounded.

7. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

8. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Most apps aren't truly backgrounding, rather a save state. It is annoying that more often than not it doesn't release memory. Another annoying thing is that I sometimes end up with so many apps open in the task switcher (which is even worse without my favorite switcher kirikae). I thought about going back to pure backgrounder but I've become dependent on the save states since I can resume what I was doing in apps without having them run in the background. I use the RemoveBG toggle in SBsettings to clear memory when needed and that has worked so far. Backgrounder is now installed just to background certain apps I need to keep running from time to time. BTW, I haven't experienced any battery difference with Apple's backgrounding vs backgrounder. Only a few apps should actually keep running and use battery.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Honestly, I don't know what everyone complains about. The native multitasking works well for me. I haven't experienced apps crashing or any other weirdness because of it and my battery life hasn't been affected as far as I can tell.

10. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Same here and remove background is a great app from cydia to quickly close anything in the background

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I don't even use that. I find that iOS does a good job of managing tasks. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me.

12. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

As far as I know at least in 4.1 there isnt a way to close all background apps at once....this program just a double click of status bar will close anything in the background

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I do not experience any crashing with JB 4.1 iPhone 4.

Maybe someone should clean up all the jailbreak apps he downloaded first before blaming Apple.

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

i use native and backgrounder in conjunction for the best overall experience. iOS is great at not letting things run out of control but there are obviously times where you want true multitasking.

On another note, the iOS memory management is really good. It does reallocate memory well and something is going wrong on your phone.

15. the diego macrumors newbie

I use backgrounder along side of iOS multitasking because not all radio apps are supported to multitask with iOS. And FWIW, I also use Remove Recents.

16. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

My setup exactly on 4.1. I don't use Backgrounder as much with the new multi-tasking, but I do use it occasionally. Remove recents is great for a quick memory release. Great combo of apps.