Thinking About Going MAc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xhell777, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. xhell777 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2007
    #1
    I have been thinking about buying a macbook recently. I have an HP pavilion (zd8000) 17 inches wide screen laptop. As a notebook it's a great computer but it's almost 12 lbs. So it's really heavy to take it with me.
    I really need a smaller notebook so i can take it with me any where. About 12-13 inches big. I am thinking about macbook but i dont know if i should wait until Apple release the big cat (Leopard) in October.
    Second, Will Apple upgrade macbook to Santa Rose soon? Could that be this fall?
    Third, Will Apple release any super slim notebook in the near future? I 've heard about 12 in. macbook pro.
     
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #2
    1. unless you need it now, i would wait. Leo is a pretty good incentive to wait, IMO.

    2. they probably will have SR next revision, and i reckon speeds will be 2.0 and 2.2 GHz. If you think that's worth waiting for, wait for it.

    3. words, words, words. Apple might make an ultra-portable, but then again the sky might turn green. No-one except for Apple know anything about it. Again, if you want one, hold out and see what they can do.
     
  3. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #3
    1) Depends on how quickly you need the machine.
    2) Maybe.
    3) Who knows? The rumours could be right, they could be wrong.

    There are a lot of threads about this already.
     
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #4
    Sounds like you really need a Macbook - unless you don't really need a laptop now, in which case, wait indefinitely :D

    The current Macbook is a great machine. It doesn't have any blinding flaws and was updated recently. Tiger, now updated to .10, is a very stable and highly evolved OS - I think I'd rather buy now (actually, I just did, a MBP) and sit through the first few weeks of Leopard running Tiger while other people discover all the bugs ;)
     
  5. Igantius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    #5
    Very sound advice!
     
  6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

    Genghis Khan

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #6
    ummm....buy ,macbook now cos it just been updated...and leopard is not that expensive...comapred to windows *dodges the shooting looks* it's cheap
     
  7. Tech607 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    #7

    I have to agree. i just bought a new MacBook Pro. If you wait until the next revision what is to stop you from thinking about waiting for the revision after that. Technology is always progressing so it will always be something better down the pipeline.

    Also the Leopard upgrade will only cost $129, thats nothing. No incentive to wait, I say buy know. It is not like MS where the new OS with all the innovations will cost you $300 +.

    The MacBooks will get Santa Rosa but when will it receive it who knows you could be waiting a while.
     
  8. shiato storm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Bristol UK
    #8
    now there's a contradiction right there...
     
  9. Sopranino macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2006
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    #9
    Short of not really needing a new laptop right now there is no real compelling reason for not buying now. Apple has just upgraded both the MB and MBP line so the chances that either of them would see another upgrade soon are very remote. Leopard is going to be fantastic, however waiting to purchase a MB until Leopard comes out is only going to save you the cost of purchasing Leopard separately (and Leopard should price in a 129 USD). So if the price of Leopard is not a big deal to you then I would be purchasing now.

    Remember, all of these comments are only opinions. Nobody can really make up your mind for you nor does anybody have a psychic link to Steve Jobs mind. You are going to be happy with your purchase no matter when you make it, so, ......... have fun :)

    Sopranino
     
  10. docc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Miami
    #10
    Macbooks are state of the art as of today. Yes, they will get Santa Rosa in the next revision but believe me, you are not going to see any noticeable difference with a minor speed bump. It will never get a seperate graphics card because then no one would buy the Macbook Pro!

    You should get a notebook when you need it and not when you think something nice will come out. No sense you lugging around a 12 lb notebook for another 6-7 months waiting for Apple to release something! If thats the case, be prepared to wait forever becuase there will always be upgrades!

    Apple will most definitely tap into the ultra-portable segment but i'm not sure if you will be interested in that because in all likelihood, it might not even have an optical drive. Its better to go ahead and get yourself a Vaio TX or Toshiba Portege R500 (weighs 779 gm) instead if ultra-portables are what you really want.

    Don't wait, it never ends.
     
  11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

    AdeFowler

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #11
    Buy a Macbook now. Learn OSX Tiger. Buy Leopard when it's released and enjoy the new features with the rest of us ;)
     
  12. leecronin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
  13. saracen67 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #13
    I bought a mini mac last year as my first mac (I've been a PC user for many many years) and since then I now have a additional iMac and I've just purchased a Macbook and i haven't looked back!

    If I was you I'd buy now and put that macbook to good use by posting your first Macbook posting on here as I have done with mine.

    Regards

    A very happy MacBook owner:)
     
  14. jdechko macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #14
    My only advice is to buy the Leopard Ultimate x64 upgrade. :D At $129, it's a steal.
     
  15. xpovos macrumors 6502a

    xpovos

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #15
    If you can afford an Apple laptop now, chances are you can afford the $129 upgrade to Leopard in October.

    Chances are also good that overly enthusiastic Apple users (such as myself) will continue to be somewhat let-down by Apple's future revisions to their laptops. The switch to Intel set everyone up for this kind of disappointment. It's hard to follow an act like that, and these machines already have most of the top-of-the-line technology built into them now. Even from among the long list of cool renovations that the folks here can imagine up, most suggested revisions are much more evolutionary than revolutionary. Besides, Apple has very obviously changed its focus onto consumer electronics, for better or worse.
     
  16. floodcasso2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    #16
    I'd go to your nearest apple store and purchase a macbook RIGHT. FREAKIN. NOW.

    I just recieved my first mac ever (white macbook 2.16 ghz 2gigs ram) from UPS yesterday,and I've been kicking myself for waiting so long to switch. OS X Tiger is really a dream to work on.

    Dont look back, you won't miss a thing.
     
  17. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #17
    Or, you could always get the Basic edition for the same price in x86. We think that most people will get the ultimate edition, though.
     
  18. subl1me macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    #18
    I bought a Powerbook back in early '04 and like 3 or 4 months later Tiger came out. Apple had this deal going on where if you had recently bought a Mac within the last month or so, they would ship Tiger out to you for free. It had actually been 3 or 4 months since I got my new Mac, but I went to the Apple website anyways and typed in my serial number to see if I was eligible. For some reason, even though I was out of the said time frame, I was eligible and they shipped it out to me for free.

    Anyways, what I'm getting at here is that if you don't want to wait (I hate waiting), just go out and get your new Mac so you can mess around with it over the summer and have fun with it before school starts... and also see if you can qualify for the free Leopard upgrade.

    If not, oh well...it's not even that much anyways with a student discount..compared to that other "ultimate" OS. Plus you'll know that your money is being well spent on an excellent and reliable operating system.
     

Share This Page