Thinking about going Smart Cover & Sleeve. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaGrandMastah, Mar 22, 2012.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I had a Marware CEO Hybrid for the entire life span of the ipad 2. I love the case but hate how bulky and weighed down the ipad became.

Then I came across a friend who has a smart cover and I freakin love it's simplicity. I don't use my ipad for much more than commuting nad lounging at home so I was thinking that I'll invest in a smart cover and a sleeve case that I can put it in when throwing it in my messsenger bag when I'm going to work.

How has that worked out for you guys? Any suggestions on a good sleeve case (preferably leather/pleather) that fits the smart cover and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Or an arm. Or half a leg. lol

2. glen e macrumors 68030

98% of the time I run a smartcover and icarbon back or a Zum ultimate back. It's the thinnest combo for traveling that I like. If I need more protection inside a carry on or something I slide it in a waterfield slip case that accepts the smartcover size too...

sfbags.com

3. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. I'm just loving the feel of a naked ipad with no cover. It's awesome so I'm thinking about it now. Still contemplating but that's the wya I'm leaning.

4. j o s h macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 setup = Smart Cover, Speck SmartShell, and Incase sleeve. The sleeve's nylon not leather/leatheresque, though sorry.

I really think covering the back can be a smart decision so you may want to consider it or else you'll be putting the iPad face down whenever you set it down because the front is the only part that's protected. The aluminum is softer than the glass and will scratch more easily. I tried the Belkin models but the corners were weak and would crack quickly (there's a thread for the iPad 3 version of the Belkin and it sounds like they fixed this issue). The Speck case was great, though.

I looked into SF Bags and I've seen them in person and they are legit.

word

5. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

LMAO dude you got me cracking up. I didn't realize i had that typo.

Well, I'm thinking I would set it down on it's case when I'm home but I know exactly what you're talking about. That's why I'm still thinking about what I want to do. I just love the feel of the smart cover. Maybe I'll take a look at a cheap back cover as well but I'm really leaning towards the smart cover and some sort of protection.

How has your smart cover held up? I love the feel and look of the leather one but I can't bring myself to pay that much for it.

6. glen e macrumors 68030

i have a black sc and its too delicate....my goto is my grey poly with CF stripes - indestructible...
    [​IMG]

7. CreedBratton macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 had a black leather smart cover and an incase sleeve(nylon). I loved both of them. The sleeve had just enough room for the iPad and the smart cover so it fit in very nicely. I would highly recommend both.

8. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you get that cover? It's nice.

9. glen e macrumors 68030

it is a poly SC with icarbons.com stripes

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Do the Apple Smart Covers work on the new iPad...heard they weren't?

11. glen e macrumors 68030

12. DFig619 macrumors member

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Isn't that just a skin from icarbons...how it it indestructible. 3M Vinyl.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

relax and stop splitting hairs... my poly cover has gone half a million miles in business travel and still looks brand new - it has nothing to do with the icarbon stripes, nor did I say that...

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

Splitting hairs....huh? Sure you implied the icarbons made it indestucible. Good to know, however, about the lasting power of the smart cover.

16. glen e macrumors 68030

I said:

my goto is my grey poly with CF stripes - indestructible...

it no way implies that the cf stripes make it indestructible....read more closely before you start a bash...

17. mustang43 macrumors newbie

Actually, this part of the quote makes it sound like you implied that...lol

The line before where he said his black leather doesn't hold up vs. his poly is the indestructible reference.

And I agree completely, my dark grey poly smart cover is the best case I have used. Waiting for ZUM or Macally to release a shell and use with my waterfield designs ultimate sleevecase.

18. glen e macrumors 68030

ok..it just bugs me what some people here will call others out for...so unnecessary....it would never dawn on me to do that....

19. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Get the Marware Microshell black hardshell case and the black leather Smart Cover. The rubberized black finish gives excellent grip and matches the black leather cover's ascetic smartly.

Do not get colored Smart Covers or you'll be called derogatory names challenging your sexual orientation. In droves.

BJ

20. glen e macrumors 68030

agreed..... except for the greys.....stupid the polys are in pastels....

21. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I've only used the smart cover for my iPad. it works well. when I travel I use a cheap sleeve to keep my ipad away from my books.

22. RossMc, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I use just the Smart Cover when i'm home then if I take my iPad anywhere with me I use Smart Cover + Zum back cover.

You can get cheap sleeves from eBay,Amazon etc or if you want something with more protection Incase & Waterfield Designs have some good ones.

23. rosemary1 macrumors regular

24. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk