Thinking About Installing Samsung 840, What Is The Install Process...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prof., Nov 17, 2012.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm keeping my eye out for potential black friday deals on Samsung 840 SSD's. Ideally I'd like to install a 250/500GB SSD in my 2012 MBP. My question is this: is the process of physically installing an SSD in a MBP different than installing a regular HD? Also, I've heard you need to have a PC to install the software required for a Mac to actually detect the drive...?

Any step-by-step information regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. :)

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The process is just like any other HD. YouTube has several install videos for MBP's. A windows PC is only needed to update the SSD firmware.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This right here. Installing a SSD/HDD is easy. iFixit has good guides if you need them, Apple has instructions posted on their website.

This is the reason that I didn't go with a Samsung drive in my Mac(although I have one in my PC). Firmware updates are a pain if you're not running BootCamp.

4. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Would I need to update the SSD firmware right out of the box?

What SSD would you recommend me buying then if I want to avoid the firmware fiasco?

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It would work fine. But future enhancements might fix issues related to sleep and speed enhancements.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 840 is on track to be a good drive, so I don't want to detract from that. But right now I'd probably try to find a Samsung 830, it's been around long enough that it doesn't NEED any other firmware updates. The Crucial M4 is what I went with for my MBP, firmware updates are easy as long as you've got an optical drive. I think it's a great drive and I've had no issues with it, but I've read some complaints about it on here.

7. chmodme macrumors member

?

I've had zero issues pertaining to sleep and speed enhancements in the ~ 2 weeks I've been running the 840 Pro. In that time I have also processed multiple huge video sessions, as well as RAW photo images. The 840 Pro is blazing fast, and enjoys regular sleeping :)

I assume you own the 840 Pro and thus know what you are asserting? Sounds like FUD to me.

Just asking.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Did you read his post? He said "future enhancements". Nothing was said about the 840 having issues right now.

9. chmodme macrumors member

yes

I did read his post. Angry about something?

I suppose I should refrain from contributing to purely hypothetical postings.

My mistake.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is a good chance that a firmware update will be released to take care of an issue that hasn't come up yet. Just because you haven't had an issue with your two week old drive doesn't mean you never will.

11. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It wasn't truely hypothetical. I do not have an 840. I do however have an 830 that had trouble with the newest MBPs upon their release related to slow waking and significantly reduced speed upon wake until restart. There's a good bet that future hardware releases might cause some issues, and that is what firmware updates are for.

Next time that you post a passive aggressive comment related to a post that is rooted in a real problem, think about the fact that maybe people know more than they say, but they don't deem necessary to the conversation. Which apparently you don't on a regular basis.