Thinking about jailbreaking my 16GB Touch need advice.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Drucifer, May 1, 2008.

1. Drucifer macrumors regular

I heard that many apps aren't compatible with 1.1.4. Since my iPod came with 1.1.4 and the new January updates should I restore and put firmware 1.1.3 on the iPod then jailbreak it or are the apps that aren't compatible not worth it anyway?

If I do jailbreak what is the best method. I read a number of places where people had issues using Ziphone so I'm leading towards another method but I'm a noob to the iPod Touch so I'm not sure of other methods and their ease.

Also what are some highly recommended applications? I heard about summerboard which seems like a really nice choice but I'm looking for more opinions.

Cheers!

2. brandonzar macrumors regular

do it

I recently jailbroke my 16gb touch (1.1.4) using ilibertyx and I couldn't be happier with the results. I have yet to find a program that doesn't work at all with 1.1.4, but I have only installed a dozen or so. I was hesitant to do it at first as well because I'm not a real computer geek, but it was pretty easy. I didn't know that you had to install the sources at first so I was initially very disappointed with the selection of programs, but now that I have several sources installed there are to many programs to go through.

Good Luck

3. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I wasn't too worried about the actual process of jailbreaking. I mess around with my PSP firmware a lot. It isn't such a big deal now that you can restore any firmware PSP but I use to play around lots back in the day.

Maybe I can get some more advice on the prefered jailbreak method around here.

4. ranwanimator macrumors newbie

I used ziphone on my 32Gb 1.1.4 with zero problems. I only did it last night though so I can't comment on longevity or any other jb programs.

Peace

5. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I haven't found any that don't work so far after JB'ing .4 a month or so ago. I don't think it's a major upgrade over 1.1.3 so most dev's have got it sorted ;)
    Go for it

6. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way I can back up my iPod before or should I just restore and then jailbreak.

I don't have too much on there right now so it wouldn't be too bad to transfer everything back to it but it would be a minor annoyance.

7. dagored macrumors 65816

If you are on a plain vanilla 1.1.4 and have never JB your Touch, you will not loose anything with Ziphone.

Now if you have used something previously it is best to restore and then JB.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

9. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Great news. Might as well get it over with now then. I don't have my wireless router set up right now so I won't be installing any applications this evening but at least the jailbreaking portion will be over.

Unless of course something goes wrong then I might need to restore everything but lets not worry about that right now. :p

10. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Happy to report I successfully completed the process. :p

Now I need to wait until I have WiFi access tomorrow to get some applications. So I should get the BossTools app and use that to free up space correct? What options do I pick or just the font one?

:confused:

11. dagored macrumors 65816

I have just moved the fonts. That freed up 100 meg. I have three screens of apps and games and I still have 85 megs left. Many people have moved both, but since I do not need the room, I chose not to. I also do not have any problems. This is on two different Touchs.

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Likewise, works fine here and still plenty of room left

13. Nadasive macrumors 6502

just jailbreak your ipod touch as 1.1.4 using ziphone then when your done, go to installer and add a new source called: ipodtouched.net/repo.xml (make sure xml is lower case)
    onces its done refreshing go to the ipod touched category and look for a 1.1.3 tag (it sets your 1.1.4 ipod touch's tag to 1.1.3 without having to restore or anything then you can get whatever app you what