Thinking about jailbreaking...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by hansvon, Aug 11, 2008.

1. hansvon macrumors member

Background: 16 gb iPod touch 1.1.4 firmware w/ Jan Pack

OK, so I've tried to do enough research so that I don't post a redundant thread, and it looks like I've gotten enough confirmation in my head that the warranty can be un-voided by restore, that if anything goes wrong all it takes is a restore to bring things back to the way they were, etc. Right? Right.

So, inevitably, I am still left with a few ?'s:

1) Have you found your jailbreaking experience to be superior to buying the App store?
    2) I got a new computer, and I'm in the process of using Sharepod to rip my music from my iPod to my computer, so I know I'll have my media backed up. How about my calendar appts and contacts and bookmarks, though? Is it a clean slate when you jailbreak?
    3) Is the ZiPhone method (the one at the top of the main iPod hacks forum) the best?
    4) 1.1.4 JB or 2.0.1 JB?

Thanks guys.

2. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

It depends on what you want really...

haha there are A LOT of apps for 1.1.4 that are great, just about as many on 2.0, But... Many people have problems with 2.0 slowdowns and keyboard issues etc.

(I haven't really had many, and if I do restarting will fix it)
    I'm happy with my jailbroken 2.0 (haven't had the time to update to 2.0.1)
    Keyboard issues in the browser pop up every once in a while. but it's not a huge deal and restarting helps (some people have said this is fixed in 2.0.1)

But if you want all free apps that are pretty good go for 1.1.4

if you want possibly higher quality apps but a lot cost you+the ability to use jailbroken apps once more are created/style your iPod touch etc. then go with 2.0.1

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I have a 2.0.1 JB iPod and I love it. Before I had 1.1.3 and I was using all the JB apps, but to me the combination of a jailbroken iPod with Cydia and soon installer, with the app store are the perfect mix.

Your iPod will also just sync to your computer so as long as your calander is on your mac your fine.

Also use Pwnage to JB 2.0.1.

4. hansvon thread starter macrumors member

Mmm, that's the problem, I can't sync to anything because it's a 2-week old computer (HP, by the way) that has no appointments, etc.:(

5. hansvon thread starter macrumors member

Alright, after 7 months, I finally jailbroke it today. And it is amazing. I haven't had any problems thus far, everything seems to be working smoothly, and it is just a really good feeling.

What are some apps/themes/sources that you all recommend as I start out?

6. powned209 macrumors newbie

I need to know.....

Can you still make calls and send messgaes on a jailbroken iphone 3g?

7. GADeputy macrumors newbie

GADeputy

Everything works exactly the same after you jailbreak.