Thinking about Jaja or iPen

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by note235, Mar 7, 2012.

1. note235 macrumors 6502a

Im thinking about using the new ipad for note taking
    which one do you guys think would be better for notetaking?
    thanks!

2. nd3eb macrumors member

the keyboard on the iPad is best for note taking.......

most people type faster than they write anyway. i don't understand the fascination with taking handwritten notes on an electronic device.

3. michaelaalan, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

michaelaalan macrumors newbie

A keyboard is all well and good if all your notes are just text. Personally i'm an engineering student so 95% of my notes are equations and diagrams, a keyboard doesn't really help me. That's why i wet myself when i saw this. The Byzero Studio I is for all intents and purposes the same product as the ipen, it uses the same sonic wave technology and has the same sort of receiver you have to plug into the dock connector. The only difference is you can actually buy the byzero right now from amazon. Its pricier (159.99) but its also real so take that for what you will. As far as the jaja, it looks like it works like a normal capacitve stylus for actually giving a location to ink and then just sends additional pressure information to regulate line with if the app supports it. Pressure sensitivity is nice for drawing but its the added precision of the byzero/ipen that i'm interested in for notetaking.

4. note235 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh nice
    the ipen is a clone then but $about half the price?

5. michaelaalan macrumors newbie

Clone maybe a strong word, neither of them developed the technology they're both just licensing it. Its entirely possible that they were both developed independently and just by virtue of using the same tech came out very similar. Cregle does actually seem to be more active about pushing their sdk on 3rd part app developers, or atleast they say they are. Notes plus already supports the byzero so that's all i really care about. I just ordered the new ipad so i'm struggling with which one to get too. I liked the ipen but they've had few delays and its starting to look a little shaky.

6. LaazyEye macrumors regular

I read on the blog at the Jaja kickstarter that the nib has been re-designed (to what i don't know)

7. michaelaalan macrumors newbie

The iPen just started shipping and i'm taking a chance on it. They've got a promo running, if you get someone else to buy it you both get a 10% rebate. Here's my link, if anyone was thinking of getting one feel free to use it and save us both a few bucks.

8. note235 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah I will do that
    how much is the price?

do you know when ipen2 would be coming out? what would the pressure sensitivity add for note taking?
    thanks!

9. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

10. michaelaalan macrumors newbie

Its 89 bucks but there's a coupon code floating around in the other thread someone made. Considering they just started shipping today I cant see the ipen2 coming out any time soon. I don't think pressure sensitivity would do a whole lot for note entry anyway.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just keep in mind that for both of the pens you've listed, they only work with apps that have been specifically designed for those pens. For note taking, this means top apps like Noteability won't work. So choose your software first, then pick a pen. For many of us, that's an Adonit Jot. While not an iPen at least it works with everything in the app store.

12. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Which is totally cool, as the only thing I would want a pen for is to draw, and the Jaja has some pretty decent app support (i really only want something i can make rough drawings on and then port to my computer where I will refine with a wacom tablet.)

13. note235 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think that's fine since I just need a notes taking app

14. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

Im looking for a stylus/ pen, like the byzero, in terms of how effective you can write and draw, Most stylus like pogos don't let me write as precisely.. I've been trying to read everyones opinions, posts, and suggestions, and can't find a clear winner. I mean, Shelling out ~150 for a stylus as a casual user is a bit excessive!

15. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Let me say that as a math graduate student, I take all my notes with a Jot Pro.

I also use an iVisor on my iPad, so it feels like writing on paper - it's the best stylus I've used.

EDIT: And it doesn't have pressure-sensitive features, but I've never needed them.

16. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

what do pressure-sensitive features do?

17. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Exactly what it sounds like - it detects the pressure you're putting on the pen to either give a thinner or bolder stroke. But any pen that uses this feature requires specific software and either a bluetooth connection to the iPad or a separate dongle to plug into the bottom. I think the trade off isn't useful for notetaking - it's more directed at artists.

18. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

i would've so pulled the trigger on the ivisor if i didn't require an add on to the bottom of the ipad :(

19. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

...what? The iVisor is a stick-on screen protector. There are no add-ons...?

20. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

sorry i mean ipen.. i really dig the concept of it, and it looks really nice, but you can't use it on jailbroken ipads and it needs a receiver.. hmm

21. MortalDays macrumors regular

I am looking to buy Jot Pro myself since the iPen is too expensive for what it is offering.

Are you able to rest your palm on the screen while using Jot Pro? What apps do you use to annotate PDFs and powerpoint slides?

Please advice. I need one for my classes too! A college student here as well. :)

22. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

You just sold me on both the iVisor AND the Jot Pro. If the whole math thing doesn't work out, you could be a salesman :p. But seriously, I never even heard of either of those until your post but after doing a bunch of research now- I'm sold!

23. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

The palm resting depends on the software. I use Noteshelf. It's awesome and does everything I need - all my handwritten and typed notes all in one super organized, very Apple-like app. I use GoodReader to annotate PDFs, if I need to.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Noteshelf does supply some palm-ignoring software. It works quite well!

Cheers!

24. fortuneteller33 macrumors member

iPen review

I just read a thorough review of the iPen at applebitsblog and they mentioned that they would be doing a comparison of it to the Studio Pen and Jot Pro. Their iPen review was pretty solid. I have the Jot Pro but can't stand not having palm rejection when using Sketchbook.