Thinking about making the switch from 27" iMac to 15" Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

So should I pull the trigger? Do you guys think that video editing on a 15" macbook pro will be alright for me to get by till I save for a 27" thunderbolt display?

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Sure. But wait for the refresh.

3. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Kind of foolish to buy now given the new Macbook Pro is days or weeks away.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

5. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Your idea is a good one. I have that same combo and it's great, not only for video editing, but for all other work I do when in the office. I'd buy a current MBP, they are proven, stable, fast, and upgradeable.

The upcoming models are hyped like everything else new. I upgrade at each refresh cycle, and whether it's a new MBP or ThinkPad (I use both) they never live up to the hype. Oh sure, there are incremental speed and other small differences, but never the speed demon or battery stretcher they're made out to be.

Besides, if indeed there is a shocking increase in speed or some other feature set you like, selling the current model is very easy and will return excellent resale.

Good Luck :)

7. ThisIsMe thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think I will be able to support the 15" screen for video editing? Thanks for the help I will be going out tomorrow to buy the macbook pro.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Works well for me. It's all in what you are used to. I use my MBP a lot in it's original form without the external monitor when at other family members homes for example.

I do a lot of editing as a hobby & make lots of films etc for family & friends. I have both a new 15" & 17", both of which I use with my Thunderbolt monitor at home, or without it when away.

MacBook Pros are simply my favorites, over my ThinkPads by a very wide margin. :)

9. AppChat macrumors regular

thunderbolt monitors are so expensive!!!

do consider other cheaper alternatives