Thinking about new Satellites

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Krafty, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

So after buying a Logitech Z-2300 and blowing the satellites by listening to them at 65-70% max for 2 weeks, I ordered 2 Klipsch Sats. from eBay. Now, the left channel speaker is producing this loud (sometimes) static sounds when it usually hits mid-high notes, and it pissing me off. I've dealt with it for almost 4 months, cause I'm not a man of money (being a 2nd semester freshmen at an art college).

So I need help I recently figured out that I had over 100+ bucks on my debit, I was going to use to buy a bigger HD, but since I just ordered RAM, a bigger HD can wait a little while longer. So I need advice on what sats. to buy to replace these.

Keep in mind my sub is a 120W AMP with L/R RCA-Inputs, but I have RCA-to-3.5mm adapters cause I had to get them for the Klipsch to work. So it has to be either one of those. And dont point me to eBay please, I have a bad past with them.

2. sfs macrumors member

What you want is a set of professional studio monitors. Go to your local recording supply store (or Guitar Center) and listen to the demo models. Ask the clerks what to buy, and they'll usually be able to point you in the right direction.

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I was thinking about that, and people on the Klipsch forum said those wouldnt work cause they're only for close listening.

4. sfs macrumors member

The Klipsch ones, yes, do tend to be biased closer in than most. However, even they are optimized for about four to five feet out; there are several pairs available (again, check out your local supplier) that are set up for around ten feet. If you need area coverage greater than about 50-100 sq. ft., then you'll need to downgrade to actual speakers. Meyer Sound makes some of the best, but you'll pay for them. EAW makes good quality for the money; JBL has been known to make some good stuff as well, although your speakers will tend to be rather brighter than most. Nothing a decent EQ job can't fix. Yamaha monitor speakers are actually decent for room amplification when you've got a sub, although they're not critical mix speakers. On the consumer side, I've seen some decent Polk Audio and Marantz setups that are around your power level.

Do keep in mind, though, that if your sub has overpowered two sets of speakers already, there's no guarantee that it won't do so again. The easiest way to fix that is to get a speaker that expects about that much power. Unfortunately, that probably means shelling out a little extra.

Quick question, though: does the buzzing sound you mention occur on other amps as well? It could be that you've only blown the processor in your subwoofer, or one of its amp circuits. It may be cheaper to replace that. I can tell you, though, that unless you've got studio monitors, you're missing out on the harmonics and nuances. Bring your favorite CD along to audition a few pairs (even if you don't intend to buy anything - just try not to do that too often, or the clerks will get mad at you). You'll be blown away, just like everyone else is.

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

No, its the speakers cause I switched the wires and the same one was producing the static noise.
    I actually remember look at PA, which ones would you recommend?

6. sfs macrumors member

I really don't know much about their line, so I can't recommend a specific set. I'd recommend going to your local home theater or electronics store and auditioning a few pairs that have the right power handling capacity. That should tell you which ones are worth buying. I do know that Fry's and Outpost put a pair on sale every week or three, so you might want to check that out.

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Meh, I dont even think I have a Best Buy or Circuit City near me...

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

OK, well I can't seem to find any with RCA inputs, its hard to tell which speakers will work, I've looked at all the places you recommended.

9. sfs macrumors member

Almost nothing in the better-quality audio gear has RCA by default, but that's easily fixed with an adapter or two. I believe most of Polk's stuff uses banana plugs or straight wire; either adapter should be available at Best Buy, Fry's, or Radio Shack (or you could make your own, though with home theater equipment it's not always cheaper).

10. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, I'll do more looking than, thanks.

If you have any input on what to recommend please say so :)

11. sfs macrumors member

If you've got the cash (which it sounds like you do, if you're seriously considering these brands), it might be simpler to just go out and buy a receiver/speaker package. I don't typically make brand recommendations online, but I'll make an exception in your case. Yamaha makes very good consumer stereo gear. Fry's has a $300 package with 5.1 and a receiver that sounds quite good. It's likely also available on their site www.outpost.com.

If you're still interested in keeping your current sub/amp, I'd get some speaker wire and solder an RCA plug to one side and a banana plug to the other, then plug that into whatever set of Polk speakers that happened to be on sale. If I wanted to take it up a notch, I'd look for Denon or Marantz instead. Were I to stay on the pro side, as I typically do, I'd probably take JBL 10" or 15" mains for cost to benefit.

If you can't (or don't want to) solder, the easiest thing to do is go to your local Radio Shack and tell them that you want a male banana plug to female RCA adapter, and that you'd like two of them.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

12. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I've done it before but I'd rather get an adapter.
    I think you mean:
    I'll see what I can find in those. Thanks.

Now, I found these:
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4209585
    Look pretty decent but I can't seem to find enough tech specs on them. I searched around in google also.

13. sfs macrumors member

You're not likely to find anything in Denon or Marantz territory that's cheaper than Polk's line unless you befriend a dealer or catch an amazing sale.

The Polks you linked to look decent. You probably won't find a frequency response graph for any speaker under $100 unless it's coming from someone like Meyer or EAW that mostly only make professional mains speakers. Other than that, what more technical info would you need? It's a safe bet that those speakers will use bare wire crimp terminals, meaning you could (if you wanted) just cut the end off of a mono RCA cable and attach it to the terminals - the center should be positive/red, and the outside shield is negative/black. 95-24kHz is a very respectable response area, so you should get decent sound out of them. {Edit: Polk claims 120-22k, which is still good. However, you might want to check into JR.com's integrity before buying there...} Best of luck with your new speakers!