Thinking about non-retina MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PiLigand, Oct 22, 2015.

1. PiLigand macrumors newbie

PiLigand

NOW HEAR ME OUT.

I'm currently still running a late-2010 MBP 13". I'm still a big fan of it and it works just as well as it always has. I upgraded the HDD to a Seagate Momentus(I think) a couple years back. But it's getting old and I think I have a repairable but sobering RAM problem that I'll be addressing myself. Either way, in returning to Grad school, it seems like it may be time to get a new computer.

I move between a couple desks throughout the day. At work it's largely reading articles, writing articles, excel, and molecular modeling. At home when not doing homework I do some development and game design with a bit-o-gaming of my own. I have never cared about graphics quality, just smoothness. I really don't think I care much about the Retina display because I spend so much time with my mac plugged into other monitors or TVs. And despite moving around on a regular basis, I am very rarely without an outlet and charger. Almost never, and not for extended times.

As a result, the CPU benchmarks on the non-retina MBP IvyBridge are so close to the broadwell from what a see, excepting the power consumption. I'm not really concerned with loadup times (I'll be reusing my current 750GB hard drive that I'm perfectly happy with). I can put 16GB of ram in the new machine for $75. And with the $650 I'm not spending on the newest rMBP instead, I can buy a separate desktop with its own dedicated graphics.

It seems like the biggest sell points for the new MBP is the SSD, the retina screen, and the power consumption. It would be nice to have the smaller form, but meh. It just doesn't seem worth it for what I want the computer for. Now, that being said, have I overlooked something painfully important? I'm curious as to what everyone sees as the benefits. Otherwise, I think I may have already made my decision.

TL;DR: I don't think the advantages of the rMBP are advantages to me or are not worth it. Do you disagree?

Thanks everyone!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You specifically state that you use it with external screens a lot of the time, as these screens move to 4K resolution, your 4 year old tech will be out of date. In a couple of years and being able to put in your own SSD'S and RAM won't mean a thing if it can't run the screens you want it to.

To be honest the 2012 is not much better than the 2010 you have just stick an SSD and new RAM in and you should get another couple of years out of it (barring catastrophic failure of course)

3. PiLigand thread starter macrumors newbie

PiLigand

Wait, what about the processor difference? And that the new one would support 16GB vs 8GB of RAM.

I hadn't considered the potential in getting new monitors. But wouldn't those still just display at the resolutions supported by the graphics available? Like do a 4 to 1 pixel ratio?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well the 2010 unofficially supports 16GB anyway, doesn't sound like you are maxxing your current processor so can't see why that would matter.

4K displays only work if your graphics can drive them.

Apples info on 4K displays.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856

5. PiLigand thread starter macrumors newbie

PiLigand

Hmm. Maybe I'm not maxing anything already. I'll keep a watch on that. In that case, I may just run with this computer until it dies. I just hate to have to pay for all kinds of extraneous features when I do need one and it looks like the non super resolution products are about to be discontinued. Bummer =/
    I just want a computer to do what it's told! It doesn't need to be prettier than I am physiologically capable of interpreting! /rant.

Thanks for your input.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just a quick note I moved to a late 2013 rMBP from the same 2010 you have (specced up with an after market SSD and 8GB of RAM).
    I'll be honest the best thing about it is the screen, it is amazing for text (looks like print) and that makes it a lot easier on your eyes than the old MBP, scaling also gives more screen real estate when needed and the antireflective coating is excellent for glare.
    However it is also much quieter the fans spin up far less often it is faster all round and the PCIe SSd really makes a difference, the graphics are far better and this will be your issue in the next couple of years with either yours or a 2012 their graphics just aren't up to the task for modern day tasks 4K video editing from your iphone 6S or Gopro etc, IRIS was a real step up.
    While you may think these are things you don't need they all get together to make a far nicer computing experience and thats what it's all about for me the best computing experience I can get for the money for as long as possible.

You aren't paying anymore than your rMBP cost and after nearly 6 years you have certainly got your moneys worth out of it, £300 a year is very little for a computer that seems to do all your work and home stuff is a bargain in my opinion.