Thinking about purchasing a PowerBook G4 Aluminum

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by maxwellsmith, Feb 7, 2009.

1. maxwellsmith macrumors newbie

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I used to own one of these but be careful. They are prone to lower memory slot failures and Apple will be ending support for Powerbooks. I also believe that OS10.6 will not be able to be installed on them.

3. otis123 macrumors 6502a

PowerPC is a dead end street, save up for a new mbp you'll be much happier in the long run.

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

if you really want one get the first one, for $50 dollars more it has the fastest processor of any powerbook which will be great, if your looking to run snow leopard when its released get the new white macbook although snow leopsrd will just be a faster leopard

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Save up another $100 and you can buy a white MacBook which will be supported by Apple for years to come.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I'd would agree, but the macbook is a different type of product. The powerbook is a larger size and has a higher build quality and a much nicer screen.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I own both machines. So...

Pros:
    Aluminum, looks like old MBP's
    FW800
    Matte

Cons:
    Only $100 less than a white MacBook
    MUCH slower in comparison to an Intel machine
    Hard to upgrade hard drive (if it is a five year old machine, drive is bound to fail)
    No support from Apple (no PPC in Snow Leopard as of now)
    No hardware support from Apple (unable to order parts in the future)
    No support from software in the future (adobe just dropped PPC)
    Known for the RAM slot failing issue
    Gets hotter than some MacBooks
    Dimmer screen (nearly all PowerBooks are older than MacBooks)

8. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

It's a false economy. Can you afford to buy cheaper in the long run? G4s are pretty darn slow these days, even the dual core MDD Powermacs with 2 1+Ghz G4s can just about hold pace in Leopard...

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Some higher end G3's can hold their end in Leopard very well. They won't be speed demons, but very usable.

And to the OP, it really depends on what you want to use the PB for. They're great machines, just not fantastic for professional work these days.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Both machines are at a good price, but don't expect to use it as a main machine for long. Like everyone is saying, if it fails, you are pretty much out of a machine unless you have some skill at a soldering iron.

With a 1.67, you won't be at ropes end with the logic board, but you will be with the RAM slot and HDD.

$500 can get you a decent Macbook with just another $200 at the least. $500 more and you are at the Rev A MBP. So it's your call, just make sure you know what headaches may come.

11. Skystar macrumors 6502

I agree with what most are saying. I say save up $200-250 more and look for a good deal on a plastic MacBook, or even better, an early revision MBP. I just sold my MBP 1,1 (2.16 Ghz 2GB, 100GB) for $750 on my local craigslist (A DJ bought it). In the long run you will wish you had gone intel.

12. om3ga785 macrumors member

you forgot one more CON.

Can't run Boot Camp to run Windows Only programs. Boot camp only works on Intel based machines AND you can forget using VMware Fusion and Parallels too.

Yeah you can run VirtualPC if you like crappy performance....

Get a MB :apple:, you'll be glad you did :D

13. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I'd save your money and get an Intel Machine.

My wife still runs a powerbook 1.67, great dependable machine, but it's often complaining of it's speed at this point.

If you HAVE to buy one of these, get the 1.67, but my opinion you should get an intel machine for SURE.

Even a 2nd gen Mac Mini would be better if you don't have to be portable and already have a monitor you can use.

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True, but the OP didn't express any need to run Windows. I barely need Windows on my MBP.

I did notice that the second one is a 1.33GHz model, forget about that one, especially if the first is going for $50 more.

15. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Go ahead! Its a great machine and is worth it in my opinion. Unless you need iTunes to instantly open G4's are fantastic, Quake 4 and AoE3 both run great even on high settings, its just a good machine. However, if futureproofing is your plan, save up for a Rev. A MBP.

16. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

But why do that when you can get a much faster MacBook for so little more?

17. maxwellsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys!

Upon further thought I'm going to save up for a first generation MBP, because everyone who said PPC is a dead architecture is right. One last question anything to worry about when buying a MBP?

18. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I seriously cannot stand this forum sometimes. Just because it doesn't have a stupid Intel processor doesn't mean it still isn't a wonderfully fast machine. I bought my 1.5 GHz G4 in October 2008 and I love the crap out of it. I, for one, am glad I bought mine instead of a white MacBook. It was $400 cheaper, and isn't a flimsy piece of garbage with a tiny screen.

Mine has 1 GB RAM, so that has something to do with it too.

You are going to have far more issues than a RAM slot failure if you get a Rev A MacBook or MacBook Pro like some of these people are saying here.

I got mine from www.macofalltrades.com and it was in like-new condition.

Hope I helped haha. It just angers me when people on this forum act like if your Mac isn't the most recent revision, it is worthless. Also, I hate Intel, they make garbage processors. Apple should have gone AMD.

19. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Because MacBooks:
    - have a tiny screen
    - are made of plastic
    - don't have as many ports
    - don't have a graphics card

Sure, it has an Intel processor, but I haven't run into an instances where the program I need to run requires Intel. Almost everything is Universal. And at that point, the G4 is better. I am opposed to giving money to Intel.

20. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

A lot of programs are Intel only now. You won't be getting an OS upgrade on a PowerPC machine but you will if you go Intel. Even some of the iLife applications wont work on PowerPC anymore. Apple is dropping support as are 3rd parties. To buy in to a PowerPC market now is foolish.

I had a last generation PowerBook G4. The fastest one that Apple ever made 1.67GHz with DDR2 RAM (Yes DDR2!) and it failed on even the most basic things like flash video. Stuttered on youtube, couldn't handle 720p H.264 video (Without at-least dropping frames). All of these issues ... I cannot recommend people to get a PowerPC machine under any circumstances except if the price was absurdly small and they plan to use it as a type of Netbook.

PowerPC is dead, let it go. If you want an affordable machine purchase a second hand MacBook Pro (even a first generation model). And of course Refurbished models from Apple.

Just want to point out when I say PowerPC is dead I mean in relation to Apple the architecture itself is doing well as can be seen by the PowerPC 6 from IBM and the Cell in the PS3. Apple just could not wait for these chips to meet there Heat and Power and I believe they made the right decision by moving to x86 when they did.

21. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I dont want this to start an argument or anything, but I think this poster is right. What ever happened to macs being known to have a much longer working life than PCs?

a visit to lowendmac.com will prove that even an old mac is not worthless

22. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

I don't know what was wrong with your's, but mine is extremely fast and doesn't struggle with YouTube at all.

To some people, the dropping of PPC archetecture isn't a big deal.

It all comes down to what you want to do. I couldn't afford a $1000 MacBook, so I spent $650 on my 15" PowerBook G4 and I couldn't be happier. Sure, I probably could have gotten a MacBook Pro Rev A on eBay for $750, but when you buy on eBay, you never know what you get. Not to mention Rev As were junk that overheated and fell apart.

23. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Rev A's weren't that bad. I have a Rev A and its not needed a single service since I bought it (Nearly 3 years old!) - And I use this machine every single day for Hours.

The point is PowerPC for Apple is over if a user is prospecting a machine today they should go Intel simple as that. Speaking of which some applications don't even run on Rev A Intel's anymore requiring a Core 2 Duo (case in point, EyeTV software). And that software certainly does not run on PowerPC.

24. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

The OP should look into this. He should find out whether the apps he mostly wants to use are Universal or Intel-only. If they are Universal, I think he would be happier with the PowerBook over a Rev A MacBook.

Also, this is a personal matter but I hate Leopard/Snow Leopard and will resist it as long as possible :) I'm running Tiger.

25. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

lol.. I don't think people should be taking advice from you. Your buying in to old technology you personally dislike Intel, you don't want Leopard or Snow Leopard which are regarded as well received by the Mac community in general. Anything you say is going to be heavily biased towards the past.