Thinking about purchasing a rMBP 15" - heat issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erd, Dec 4, 2013.

1. erd macrumors newbie

Hey all. First time here on the forum as a member (I've been lurking however). I have been waiting for the haswell lineup to come out and I plan on purchasing a mRBP 15/1 TB/2.6/16GB this Christmas. The thing is that I've been seeing many reports of people having heat issues and uncomfortable typing due to the keyboard getting so hot. I do game and more importantly I compile complex projects (on the scale of linux kernel) so having a $3k computer that gets that hot is unacceptable to me. Is this is a common issue or has it only affected the ones who have posted? It also seems like people have had slowdown issues with the induction of Mavericks and I am somewhat affected by this on my Mid-2012 MBA. Thank you everyone and nice to meet you all!

2. erd thread starter macrumors newbie

3. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

My 13" i7 is hotter than my 15" 2.3

The 2.3 stays pretty cool for the most part. 13" all gets warm.

4. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Yep, can confirm that usual temps on 15 inch 2.3 GHz is usually 30 to 35 degrees. Others have reported slightly higher temps on 2.6 GHz and when doing demanding tasks for prolonged periods, however.

5. erd thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think it's not worth it to upgrade to the 2.6 then?

6. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I think any $3000 computer is going to get equivalently hot under load. The Apple computers don't get hotter than others as some people claim or assume, you just notice the heat more because of the aluminum construction. The unibody case is actually an important part of the cooling system.

I would consider normal operating CPU temp more around 45C. I really wouldn't worry about it though. A hot keyboard has not been an issue for me at least.

7. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I don't know about the new Haswell 15", but my Haswell 13" is a lot cooler than my old 13" Ivy bridge rMBP. Are you referring to the old or the new models?

8. nealh macrumors 6502

I repsectfully disagree.

I briefly had a 15in Haswell 2.3 Ghz and the fans would be audible when I plugged in my power adapter and ethernet thunderbolt. I was surprised how hot that area got. This was simply to charge the laptop. Once it hit 100% charge fans dropped and became quiet and temps were lower

My 13in i7 ivy bridge never makes noise or got that warm

I really miss the larger screen though:(

9. maniamacman macrumors newbie

for me its pretty hot with my late rmbp.
    i will set up istat trial version to give u some numbers.

but when im playing a 1080p youtube video or an episode online for 20minutes its going very warm.
    in fact i have to pause for few minutes because i cant stand it.

-for all the Rmbp users, is this relatively normal?

i guess im not use to the unibody :)

i heard the fans spinnin very fast once.

i wanted to check some online livestreaming but im scared now due to this first impression i prefer not pushing it!

10. maniamacman, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

maniamacman macrumors newbie

mine a 15" rmbp 2.3 with the gpu and getting pretty hot on load.

i just tried 20 minutes to watch a livestream 720p hd on livestream.com in fullscreen.

- with google :

very warm and -20% battery fans went on but not that loud.

- with safari :

warm and -15% battery and fans was not audible.

i disable the fullscreen and it was going "colder" relatively quick

i guess its not a machine to stream or watching stream that much because battery drain pretty fast and very fast warm during winter :(.

i dont want to imagine during summer.

if someone could confirm my numbers i will be happy to know if its "normal".

thanks!

i will run istat tomorrow to have the degrees!

11. commac macrumors regular

I returned a 13" but not because it ran hot. Although I do remember trying a simple game had the fans blazing.

Got the 15" 2.3 and impressed. Bioshock had the fans going mildly but other wise its cool as a cucumber.

Tho, connect 2 externals with the retina monitor open and you can cook breakfast on it. Clamshell is no problem tho.

I chose 15" because I find it much easier on the eyes when using the retina. Less jitter too.

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I've had/used three Retinas. Heat is so not an issue, especially compared to previous non-Retina models.