Thinking about Purchasing a sleek reliable External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWoz, Jul 13, 2009.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

At the moment Im leaning towards - 320GB SEAGATE FREEAGENT
    as it looks the part has its own dock and is useful for travel if need be.

Any other good ones out there, that arent too expensive?

Or does anyone use this?

Thanks

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I've not heard good things about Seagate recently. Personally, I prefer Western Digital. They have plenty of sizes(physical and storage) and they come in lots of different colors, I've been really happy with mine. Rather inexpensive as well.
    WD portable drives

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I recommend the Western Digital as well
    I use the 1TB MyBook and have had no issues

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would go for reliability over design. I've been down that road before with Lacie.

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Sorry to just jump in, but I'm looking for something to use with my ibook G4 and the passport for mac looks perfect from WD. Would I just plug it in and go? I don't have to make sure it's compatible with anything?

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes it will work fine.

To the OP, I agree with jessica. & MacDawg. But what is sleek? I imagine the Porsche Design's LaCie's?

8. suekitch macrumors regular

The one thing that is worth looking at here is the warranty. Seagate, since they acquired Maxtor, have taken a reliability hit but their 5 year warranty dwarfs WD's 1.

So it's a gamble; maybe more chance of risking losing your data in that period, but you'd get the warranty on the drive for up to five years.

It comes down to how important the stuff you put on the drive is ;) i.e. if it truly is just a backup and you can make do without it whilst getting a replacement I'd be more inclined to go for the Seagate. If, however, it'll be your only copy of something (shame on you!) or you might end up being away from another copy for a while, or you have a huge string of bad luck and worry that both copies get taken out in one go, I'd go for the WD :)

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Thank you! :D

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

My room full of broken western digitals contradict everyone elses recommendation of them. WD is producing pure trash at the moment.

Your best bet is to get an internal laptop drive with a small external enclosure.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Lacie Rugged.

We used them the Apple Store where they took a (severe) lickin' and kept on ticking.

I have three at home now.

12. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

No FW though for target mode. :(

I've been debating this purchase as well but was leery to ask for advice here and post the same question. That's something I've been vocal about. lol

I need a 1TB drive that is 'portable'. I don't mean as portable as a 2.5" Passport etc but something I can transport around with ease. This drive won't be sitting on a desk.

My MBP is my portable workstation and HT. The large drive will be moving along with it. In the last year I've lived in India, Kuwait, Bali, US and UK and my equipment travels with me.

COmpact size is important and also durability. I have a little Lacie (the black Neil Poulton design) and its been fine.

The WD seems more reliable IF it was sitting on a desk. The Lacie Rugged looks like it would fit my needs perfectly but what happens if I'm on the road and need to use target mode. I'd be stuck.

I ended up ordering the 1TB Lacie Neil Poulton with esata, FW 400 and USB2. The dimensions seem like something I could stash in my laptop bag. Perfect rectangle.

Can I use target mode through eSata? I can then use the express card slot on my MBP17 in case I need to boot up from the external Lacie Rugged. Then the problem becomes daisy chaining a FW device.

Not as easy decision ...

Actually, I just realized the Lacie rigged 500GB does have FW ports. I need a 1TB drive though. I'm in the process of digitizing DVDs to watch movies when I change locations. I can use my current 250GB for selective Time Machine excluding my iTunes and movie folders but that still leaves me needing a clone drive and a movie repository. 500GB won't be enough.

eV

eV

13. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Yeah i was looking for something that can be taken when travelling, the passport looks like a good option!!

14. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Too small, too slow. I need something 'portable' with 1TB, FW and 7200RPM drive.

That Lacie rugged with the orange casing looks perfect except that the 1TB version doesn't have FW>

I ended up going with http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-FireWir...ransporting it might have been an issue eV

15. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm going to be sending the 1TB Lacie Neil Poulton esata/FW800/USB drive back. It's too slow. Takes about 10 minutes to transfer 4 GIGS. At this rate my backups will take all day.

I also plan to use the drive as an external media storage and transfer a movie or two to my internal HDD when I travel. Half an hour for 2 movies is unacceptable.

Now I"m not sure which one to get .. :(

eV

16. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

229 for a 500GB 7200RPM FW800 option is way too much. I was looking for 1TB but I think I can get by with 500 for now. My internal can hold enough media for a while. I can pick up a large external when I get to a permanent residence and start converting in earnest

I think I'm going to rethink my storage needs. I'll keep an external 500GB drive as a TM machine backup. In that case 5400RPM and FW400 won't matter. It's the first backup that will take a long time and that's OK. The incremental will happen at night anyway. My internal 500GB still has plenty of room. I can use my small 250GB FW Lacie as a clone backup for target mode.

Any suggestions? Should be cheaper than the 1TB powered Lacie as well.

eV

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

WTF? I backed up 80GB in 25 minutes with my LaCie

18. cube macrumors G5

I was responding to the OP. You need a 3.5" drive.

19. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

20. Justin Lee macrumors member

21. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Looks nice. Is this a factor?

22. Justin Lee macrumors member

It certainly runs warm. I'm not sure this is a Time Machine solution either, but I'm happy to recommend it as sleek, reliable external HDD. It is very quick, has a great price and all reviews are favourable.

Yes, it looks nice, although candy red would not be my first choice of colour but you don't really get a choice...different colours signify different capacities.

23. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks. I bought it from the link you gave me. Sometimes its best to make a quick decision. I analyze the smallest purchases way too much!

I will be using it as a TM solution but backing up once a day. I doubt that will make it overheat.

eV