Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I’ve never had an Apple Watch before and I’m considering getting one, but I have some questions.
  1. If I get the WiFi only version and I go to my gym with WiFi, can I still leave my phone in my locker and get my iPhone notifications and access WiFi on the Apple Watch?
  2. Can I listen to Spotify on the Apple Watch? If yes, can I play it to Bluetooth headphones from the watch?
  3. Are there any sleep tracking apps for Apple Watch?
Thank you!

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
1. If your phone and watch are in the same network, theoretically you can leave your phone in your locker and keep receiving notifications.
2. There is no native Spotify app. But if you play music via Spotify, you should be able to control the playback, such as next song, pause, given that you can do the same on your iPhone.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I’ve never had an Apple Watch before and I’m considering getting one, but I have some questions.
  1. If I get the WiFi only version and I go to my gym with WiFi, can I still leave my phone in my locker and get my iPhone notifications and access WiFi on the Apple Watch?
  2. Can I listen to Spotify on the Apple Watch? If yes, can I play it to Bluetooth headphones from the watch?
  3. Are there any sleep tracking apps for Apple Watch?
Thank you!
1 your watch can connect to WiFi without the phone.
2 yes
3 yes

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
1 your watch can connect to WiFi without the phone.

Only if the wifi doesn't require a login through a web page. (Most public wifis require the login). So it's likely that the watch won't be able to connect to the wifi on its own.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Only if the wifi doesn't require a login through a web page. (Most public wifis require the login). So it's likely that the watch won't be able to connect to the wifi on its own.
Most of the wifi networks I connect to do not require login through a web page - just network name and password. I suppose that could be an issue for some people.

Last edited:

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012

I have this issue at work. Very frustrating.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Regarding the gym, I always used to have to carry my iPhone in my joggers/shorts pocket while at the gym in order for my Series 0 to receive messages, etc. My gym doesn't have WiFi, BTW (it's a cheap-a$$ gym :D)

Anyhow, after getting my Series 4 which has been upgraded with Bluetooth 5 (which is faster, and has greater range), I was happy to find that I could leave my iPhone in my locker and my Watch would still connect to it while I was in the gym area. It must be over 120 feet away at least, and through a set of double-doors.

My Series 0 would always show the annoying red "no connection" icon at the top when I tried with that.

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
2. NO, you can not play Spotify from your Watch. You can only control Spotify from your Watch when listening to it on your phone!

3. AutoSleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.