Thinking about purchasing Late 09 MacBook unibody. Input?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by opticflare, Dec 8, 2013.

1. opticflare macrumors member

I might be purchasing a Late 09 MacBook unibody, its in great cosmetic condition. Bottom shell was replaced, no scratches or nics. It spent most of its life in clamshell mode with a external monitor and KB/M. RAM was upgraded to 4GB, runs a 640GB hybrid drive. DVD drive was taken out for a opibay slot so its SSD ready.

Only imperfection is the battery is bulging right now so the trackpad is hard to click, so would need a new battery. Runs a C2D 2.26ghz with a 9400 NVidia card.

He wants $380 for it. Would this be good for seamless web/email/Netflix/youtube? Could it stream HD?

Is this a good deal?

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Seems pretty good, but seems like there is room for negotiation.

Every locale is different, check your local Craigslist to see.

I see those here for $300-400.

3. copykris Suspended

copykris

the bulging battery would worry me quite a bit

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Definitely, I would remove it immediately at the minimum, and replace it if possible.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Not worth it. You'll end up paying over $500 and the trackpad might have been permanently warped. It should be max $400 if everything was in good shape, $250 max for the condition it is in now. It's 4 years old too, it won't compare to even the $200 windows tablets.

6. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I am not sure if this is a troll or not..? Especially with that username. :)

You get pretty good performance out of even the 2006-2007s, and those are considered vintage by Apple. Unsure where the WinTab comparison comes into play.

Sure, the trackpad could have permanent damage. Pull the battery out and see how the play and response is. Check out how much pristine 2009s are in your locale on Craigslist and work from there in your negotiations.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Not a troll, lol.

This $200 tablet is way faster than the mac 2009 (I would know, I have both :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPPY4m8iY0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIDI_hvOBWM

That mac is way overpriced considering the battery and possibly trackpad problems. Given that he wants to watch video, he's better off getting a windows or apple tablet with hdmi output at the price he's willing to pay.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think $380 is a fantastic deal. I have no idea where you can possibly find one at $200. I purchased a heavily scratched up but perfectly functional one for $250 and thought that was a good deal.

In regards to the bulging battery, definitely take out and/or replace it ASAP. If the trackpad has suffered permanent damage, replacements can be found for about $30-35 new.