Thinking about purchasing MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xiaoyu04, Sep 24, 2006.

  1. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

    Sep 24, 2006
    Merced, CA
    Hello everyone, I've been reading this board for quite a while now and finally got to make my account :p

    Anyway, I have a few questions about purchasing a MBP:

    1. I am currently still using a windows machine and I use software like photoshop CS2, and perform some video editing at times- should I wait to get the MBP since I heard CS2 still runs sluggishly since its not universal binary yet?

    2. My co-workers advise me to wait it out until Leopard is released the following year- is it worth the wait?

    3. What are some current issues with the MBP other than the heat issue that I need to be aware of?

    so, i guess my question is whether to wait it out before I make my purchase or would it not make a huge difference?

    by the way, I do not need to get it right away, and this would be my first mac.

  2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    1. Waiting for a particular piece of software doesn't make much sense. The Universal version of Photoshop will be out when it's out. Whether you buy a MBP now or wait doesn't matter. At that time, you'll have a machine, and Photoshop to run on it. But if you do a lot of work in Photoshop, you might not be able to use the MBP as your primary Photoshop machine until then.

    2. No. This isn't Windows. You don't need to worry about future versions of OSX not running on hardware you buy today. Leopard will run with all the bells and whistles on any Mac you buy now (and, actually, any Mac from the past 3-4 years as well)

    3. There's a CPU whining issue with some MBPs. Some people have it, some don't. Some people think it's a gigantic problem, some don't.

    The only (somewhat) good reason to delay purchasing now is if your world is going to come crashing down on you as soon as the Core 2 Duo MBPs are released because you don't have one.
  3. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    There's a good chance that the MacBook Pro will be updated this week, perhaps as early as tomorrow at Photokina

Share This Page