Thinking about purchasing the 15" MBP w/ expresscard slot. Are there cons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jodorowsky, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jodorowsky macrumors newbie

I am thinking about purchasing one of the early releases of the MBP 15", before they replaced the expresscard slot with the SD Card slot. As a filmmaker, the expresscard slot allows on-site ingestion of Sony's and Panasonic's SxS and P2 cards - a nice utility. I also don't use point-and-shoots, so the SD card has zero utility for me.

I just wanted to make sure that, before I buy the previous revision, there is nothing I will be missing by purchasing the older edition. I remember that they widened the color gamut on the MBPs by 30% with the update, but this is really insignificant as their color accuracy isn't thaaaat great anyway.

This is the laptop I am considering - http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB470LL...f=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1249594761&sr=1-11

But I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything massive, like, say, they added another 3 hours to battery life, or, they fixed a hardware glitch that causes the disk drive to spin out of control in every 1 out of 100 uses. Please let me know your thoughts on this, and feel free to let me know if there are any cons. Thanks!

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The shorter life battery is removable though. I have one of those 2.4Ghz Rev A's, so I like to stick up for them. They get maybe 3-3.5 hours of battery life with Wifi and the 9600M GT enabled.

Another cool point: These are, to the best of my knowledge, the only 15" notebooks Apple has ever made that will fit a 12.5mm hard drive.

4. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Definitely better deals to be had from the refurb store or eBay.