thinking about purchasing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rylenolflu, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rylenolflu macrumors member

Okay, so I've been debating on whether to go with the HTC tilt or the iphone and I have decided that the iphone will better suit my needs. With that said, I have a few questions about it.
    1. Is it likely that an iChat or messenger service will be available with the SDK release? Does the edge data transfer provide enough bandwith for an instant messaging app? I really don't understand how this isn't on the iphone already.
    2. Editing work documents is a priority for me, so, is there in existence, or might there possibly soon be, a 3rd party app that would allow for word doc editing and viewing
    3. If I get an iPhone now, will I be left in the dirt with respect to software upgrades and such? Meaning, as newer iphone revisions come out, will apple still take care of it's loyal customers who bought the earlier iphones?

Anyway, thanks for all the assistance.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) iChat would be released by Apple since it's their baby. Nobody really knows when that will come. It's likely that within a couple of months of the SDK release that others will release iPhone versions of chat apps. I would guess that Google Talk would be the first.

2) I think the iPhone can view Word docs, but don't quote me on that. At some point TextEdit will probably make its way to the phone, and it can view and edit Word docs.

3) iPhone owners have gotten all the updates so far for free. You'll probably be able to do that for a while since Apple makes a bit of money from the contract with AT&T. At some point they make release an update that will just be too powerful for some older iPhones, but we're talking many years down the line (and major hardware upgrades).

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

I can view both Word and Excel docs from an email on my iPhone. Being able to edit them is not there yet, that's what has my hubby not going to an iPhone just yet. It should be interesting to see what starts to come out with the SDK release.