Thinking about Re-installing / Installing a new HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frozo., Aug 5, 2011.

1. Frozo. Guest

Hello,

I'm wanting to go about either re-installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard as my 2011 Base Model 13" MBP has gone a bit sluggish and when I move the MBP the HDD clicks and I'm wanting to either re-install to see if it speeds up the machine (I've currently got the OS disc in but I'm unsure on how to erase the HDD fully (Never done it before)

I was also looking at getting a new HDD for a performance increase and also to get rid of the standard one that's clicking whilst moving but I'm unsure on how to go about this (I've watched a video on how to change it and it seems quite simple)

What are you thoughts? And can you help me on any of the questions :) :D :apple:

2. egi macrumors newbie

the clicking could indicate a hdd problem. are you moving the mbp while it is on ? that's not a good idea since it could damage the hdd.

if you do want to upgrade then ssd is the only way to go ;)

3. Frozo. thread starter Guest

Yes, I pick it up and carry it downstairs (While switched on)

:p They can be quite pricey for a decent sized SSD :(

4. egi macrumors newbie

be careful not to make sudden movements while carrying it as the disk is quite fragile while spinning

yeah, I agree. they are quite expensive. you can always get a 128gb or even 64gb for the system and apps and use the old one as external storage.

5. Frozo. thread starter Guest

Hmm true :)

I think I'm going to try and re-install the OS now quickly and see if it speeds it up at all.

Do you know how to safely erase the HDD? (I've got the disc inserted and I'm loaded onto Disk Utility)

6. egi macrumors newbie

select the hdd in the disk utility and there will be an option to erase it. that's all

7. Frozo. thread starter Guest

Do I use 'Erase Free Space' or just 'Erase' and do I need to do anything in 'Security Options'

8. egi macrumors newbie

leave the options as they are and select "erase". erasing free space will just erase the deleted items which get stored for some time even after emptying the trash.

9. Frozo. thread starter Guest

Thanks for all the help :) :D

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The clicking sound when you move the laptop is perfectly normal, it's the hard drive's sudden motion sensor triggering the hard drive's head to park and that's what you're hearing. Some hard drives are louder than others, some are more sensitive than others, but they all do it, changing the hard drive isn't a solution, because you don't have a problem.

It is in fact a good thing.

A clean install may indeed help for performance issues, but I'd try and find the cause first before going through the hassle of a reinstall. If you do a clean install, unless you have a backup, you'll lose everything you currently have on your hard drive, music, videos, photos, documents, etc.

Edit: if the hard drive starts clicking for no apparent reason when the laptop isn't being moved is when I'd start to worry.