Thinking about replacing hard drive...couple questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wgilles, Feb 25, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Well I have a 160GB HDD and am running out of room quickly. I want to upgrade to a 300GB 7200RPM drive. I was wondering about mainly one thing if I do the upgrade:
    After I put the new one in and it's ready to go, to install Leopard back on the computer, do I just put in the Leopard disc that came with my laptop when I bought it or is there something else I have to do to get the OS back on there??
    EDIT: One more thing, I use a Windows Partition for gaming and an external HDD won't work because it will slow the games down.

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

We are talking a laptop here, right? Who makes a 300gb 7200rpm laptop drive?

3. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Uh, hard to offer suggestions when you don't identify the hardware you're talking about. Give us more information, please....

MacDann

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

go for it, whatever the platform is, its fairly simple, and before you ask if it voids your warranty, the answer is yes and know, no if you don't mess anything up, yes if you do! wait a little longer there is a 500 gb hd coming out. you can do it have confidence purchase the right tools and research research research.
    cheers!

5. tngisaga macrumors member

You'll want to boot up with the start up disc that came with your computer, and remember to hold C as it's starting up. Go into the Disk Utility application that's found in one of the drop down menus at the top. From there, you can format your new hard drive and you can also set up your partition here as well. After that, quit Disk Utility then go ahead and install Leopard. I always deselect all the languages except English when I do a fresh install. It's a good way to save a fews gigs.

Good luck with finding a new hard drive.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As above but dont forget to get a enclosure as you dont wanna waste a 160GB
    new external even if you dont want it for gamming

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Definitely, I also deselect the printer drivers, saves some room also.