Thinking about returning 2018 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FnM, Dec 2, 2018.

1. FnM macrumors newbie

I just realized I will be spending around $600 in accessories after purchasing a 2018 15.4 inch MacBook Pro i7, 6 core 2.6ghz for $2400....and I’m questioning if it’s worth it. Seems like the only worthwhile dock out there is over $200...the one I want is the caldigital which is $339. Good case and protective skins, laptop stand add another $200. Italian Leather portfolio case add another $230. It’s expensive to be an apple owner that’s for sure. What I’m spending in accessories is as much as I spent on a asus laptop with a gtx1070 and i7 7700!

I don’t know if this MacBook is worth it. I really wanted to use it because I love Final Cut Pro and the macOS. I just dread this cost I guess. To be fair I didn’t need the custom Italian leather case and could of gotten a cheap PU leather case for $25. But hey when you spend $2400 on a laptop might as well go real leather

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

With the exception of the dock everything else is a want rather than need. You don’t need three types of protection and you certainly don’t need to buy the most expensive sleeves or cases. I think a skin, a case and the Italian leather portfolio is overkill.

Also, the performance of the laptop has nothing to do with which accessories you have. If you need to use Final Cut obviously you need macOS. So the question really becomes; is this laptop worth the upgrade price over what I have now? If the answer is yes then buy it and enjoy it and don’t worry so much about how it’s going to look when you’re carrying around.

Perspective my friend, perspective.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not sure and you don't have peace of mind, then definitely return it. My needs are different then yours to be sure, but I only purchased a hundred dollar dock that gives me everything I need, USB-A, mini display port SD card port, etc etc. Oh I bought a dbrand skin, for like 40 bucks as well. I'm not sure why you needed to drop 700 on accessories.

4. unglued macrumors 6502

I feel the pain but it is worth it for an excellent piece of hardware. For my new 2018 15” MBP I’m up to $438 in accessories (CalDigit dock refurb $240, Thermaltake cooling plate $36, ICON sleeve $70, USB-C to A adapter $8, Vinpok PokMag Bolt-S magsafe $38, privacy screen filter $46) and I’m sure I forgot something. Now I’m contemplating AppleCare+ $379.

5. Ploki macrumors 68040

Not sure that the 2018 15” is as excellent as you make it sound.
    I had 2008 unibody (+ 2008 tower), then replaced both with 2012 rMBP, then replaced it with 2018 which i got refunded because it had issues.

But i am happy it had them, because i just dont think its as good as 2008 and 2012 models were.

6. unglued macrumors 6502

Maybe I’m too optimistic or I have the itch for new gear but if my new 2018 15” MBP has issues I’ll return/exchange it twice before giving up and going back to an older model. I just need a larger display for the road than my old 13” but more performance also helps.

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Most of those accessories are things you want but don't need, and they are not unique to the MacBook.

I would not recommend putting a hard snap on case on a MacBook in general because it can lead to the laptop running hotter.

8. robvas macrumors 68030

Not really true. A case will not cause the laptop to run hotter just like a cooling pad will not cause it to run cooler.

9. FrostyF macrumors regular

Sounds like you just overspent on a lot of nice-to-haves.

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

My 17" 2011 MacBook Pro definitely ran hotter with a clear plastic Spec case on it when rendering video and other processor-intensive tasks. The plastic trapped the heat and didn't let it dissipate away from the aluminum body. I verified it with iStat after noticing the fans running more often with the case on.

I don't know if the cases today have become more thermally transparent, but I find a neoprene sleeve is enough protection for my 15" MacBook Pro when traveling in my bag.

11. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

Having taken two classes in thermodynamics, I promise you, a plastic case covering the aluminum housing on an apple computer will increase the internal temperatures. The amount of the thermal rise will depend on how much energy is transferred from the electronics inside the case to the case. If you touch your aluminum case and it feels warm, then adding a plastic case over it will indeed increase internal temperatures.

12. robvas macrumors 68030

True - however the case isn't the heatsink for the Macbook it's the air coming out of the vents.

Again, same reason 'cooling pads' do nothing.

13. puma1552 Suspended

$600 on accessories is absurd. $350 dock? $200 sleeve?

I bought a sleeve from Australia for $60 shipped to my door with the fastest shipping, a $17 microfiber to keep the keys from toughing the screen when closed, and a single $29 Thunderbolt to ethernet dongle for the initial Time Capsule backup. And I guess $150 for Office 2019, if you count that as an accessory.

If you have to question the value of the computer because of the accssory cost, then the accessories are the problem and you aren't someone who should be spending $200+ on a sleeve IMO.

14. IdentityCrisis Suspended

You can get the Caldigit for $269 from their Refurb store, just like Apple, are like new with same warranty.

Also, the other stuff are wants instead of needs. I spent $4800 on a MBP 15", and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'll be keeping it for a long time.

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The body of the laptop is the heatsink as well, and it works in conjunction to the air being moved away. That's why they have little rubber feet to raise them off of a flat surface and allow the airflow to cool the case.

Put a MacBook Pro on a pillow and watch it burn up even if no vents are blocked.

16. FrostyF macrumors regular

17. robvas macrumors 68030

The rubber feet are so the aluminum Macbook doesn't go sliding off the table...

18. tromboneaholic, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

They provide clearance for air to move under the case and cool it. Otherwise they wouldn't lift the machine up off the surface and would be a thinner material that was less expensive and cut down on the overall thickness of the machine.

This shouldn't even be a question, really.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I've never ever used a cover on a laptop. Now I will spend good money for a case that holds everything I need.

20. Jerz macrumors regular

Jerz

Does a cooling pad actually help? I somehow feel like that's a huge annoying accessory to have

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless you have liquid cooling in the chassis itself I don't see how it would help.

22. unglued macrumors 6502

I’m not sure if a cooling pad helps or not, I thought $36 was cheap enough to find out. I’m planning to modify it to get the aluminum base to fully rest against the bottom of the MBP if it’s raised by rubber feet like my old MBP.

This one (Thermaltake CL-N002-PL12BL-A) has two 120mm fans and four moveable temperature sensors with a control display to monitor temps. I should find out quickly if it’s useless or not once my new MBP arrives.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    Thanks for the tip I will try a liquid one if this one doesn’t work, I’m willing to pay more for one that actually works.

23. IdentityCrisis Suspended

ijustine did a test on a bunch of cooling pads recently in this video below. That may answer your question.