Thinking about returning Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmj2318, Jan 9, 2013.

1. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I just bought a 15" retina MacBook Pro about a week ago. I love everything about it but I just can't deal with the fact that it lags. And because we're still not sure if it is actually a software or a hardware problem, I would hate to be stuck with this with no hope of it being fixed (but I'm starting to think it is a software problem due to how smooth WebKit is). But still, if it's not going to be fixed until the next generation comes out (maybe with the next version of Mac OSX) then I might as well just wait for the next model right?

The problem is that I need a computer right now. I'm thinking about buying either a base 13" MacBook Air or base 13" MacBook Pro and keeping it just for a few months, and selling it when the next 15" retina MacBook Pro comes out. I'm wondering, if I do it this way, how much of a hit would I take when I resell it, and which one would have the best resale value?

Also, any advice on my decision of what to do with my 15" retina?

Thanks!

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Mine doesnt lag at all. Have you tried a fresh install?

Also there is a dev kit for the Safari Lag.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Does it lag all the time, or just sometimes? All apps, or just some? At a time when you're experiencing the lag, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

4. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

5. KPOM macrumors G5

If you do go with an Air or cMBP to tide you over, I'd strongly recommend getting a refurbished model. The refurbished models effectively set a ceiling on the resale value. Airs tend to lose their value more quickly than the cMBPs, probably because Apple keeps changing them (the 2010 and 2011 updates were very significant, and even the 2012 added the 8GB option and USB 3.0), and because they aren't upgradable. The refurbished models are 15% less than the Apple retail price for new ones, and they are just as good from my experience.

That said, the best solution may be to stick with what you have. If it is software then the lag may go away before the new models come out (or the new models may have the same glitches).

6. walkie macrumors 6502

One question, is Apple aware of this issue?, will they fix this through a update without recurring to a patch?

7. kmj2318, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013

kmj2318 thread starter macrumors 68000

kmj2318

It's choppy everywhere with general UI animations (mission control, launchpad, swiping spaces), scrolling in iTunes, mail, safari, CS6. Sometimes it's worse than others but it's generally not up to par even at it's best. When I use QuickRes to change the resolution to 1440 x 900 at normal resolution, everything feels perfect. I've used another person's retina macbook, and theirs behaved just like mine but they didn't notice.:confused:

Here's the screenshot. What I did to make this happen was I swiped over to my next space and then I swiped back to the desktop. 30% of the CPU for windowserver looks interesting...

[​IMG]

8. leman macrumors 604

I must have a wrong rMBP then. On my machine its absolutely smooth. There is a fraction of a second initial delay before the menu opens, but this seems to be lack of image caching. The menu itself is rendered smoothly, no 'square placeholders' or similar.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Indeed. A Google search for "windowserver process cpu" reveals many who are having this issue. I haven't read through all the search results to see if there's a resolution, but you might try looking there first. Everything else on your screenshot looks fine. Be sure to check out the performance tips I posted.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Odd that so many processes use some resources, even on my old Powerbook, I only have a few non zero ones, the other processes are all 0 when not used.

11. leman macrumors 604

You should really edit that screenshot unless you want us all to know your real name ;)

12. kmj2318 thread starter macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Haven't tried that, but perhaps I'll try it today.

13. bushido Suspended

bushido

the only lag i every experienced was on safari but im using the night built now and its perfect

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

link? I'd love to try this.

That being said, my rMBP hasn't lagged in ages. Especially after all the recent updates and such.

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

It is odd that some have lag and others do not--I do not have any lag that is noticeable--never had really. That high CPU use for WindowServer certainly seems a big clue and I would think could cause some noticeable lag--my WindowServer process seems to stay around 1 or 2 percent.

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

17. Ploki, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

Ploki macrumors 68000

I'm getting tired of repeating this.

rMBP: 5184000 pixels, GT650m.
    27" iMac: 3686400, HD4670.

About 40% more pixels to drive.
    With a card thats 250% better.

It's a software problem.

Edit:
    Even better
    rMBP: 5184000 pixels, GT650m
    MBP: 1296000 pixels, 9400m
    400% more pixels,
    With a card thats 2000% better.

18. kmj2318 thread starter macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Not the best comparison. The high performance graphics card is usually not active. In ordinary tasks, both are using the HD4000, so the rMBP is running much more pixels off of the same graphics card.

19. Ploki macrumors 68000

Not entirely true that. 650m is always activated when more GPU power is required. Automatic graphics switching and all that.

Bottom line, rMBP has enough power under the hood to power the retina display, if anything isn't smooth, it can be attributed shoddy programming. Be it that discrete GPU turns on too late, or that programming on the HiDPI part is sloppy.

20. kmj2318 thread starter macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Oh, that makes sense. When I keep the the discreet card active, itunes albums still are very laggy to scroll through, and it makes no sense that the 650M couldn't handle iTunes, so it is definitely looking like a software issue. Especially seeing how smooth WebKit is, it's clear that the computer can handle scrolling of any kind. I'm just hoping that it get's fixed soon.

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

Yep. Shoddy programming. I could run a 2560*1440 screen off my 9400m on my current laptop.

I've been waiting more than two weeks for my retina, ****ing 3rd world country.

22. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I can relate to what the OP is saying and I'm sure everyone can, maybe they are in denial or they have never used a butter smooth Mac.

My 2009 13" Macbook Pro with a Crucial M4 and 8GB RAM was butter smooth.

Kind of sucks I miss it when using the rMBP at times. I'll probably stick with the rMBP and hope it gets better though.

EDIT: I LOVE everything about the 15" rMBP otherwise. I wouldn't have kept it this long if I didn't.

23. shansoft macrumors 6502

Fyi, retina display is doing the scaling, therefore it's using much more GPU power than any other display.

24. kmj2318 thread starter macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I'm really wondering if there are some people who are unable to discern the difference. As I mentioned before, I know someone who cannot see any of the choppiness. Also, for the past few hours, that the lag has completely disappeared, but also I'm really tired, which would impact my ability to see the stuttering.

25. maxosx macrumors 68020

I tend to think the same thing.

I use mine very extensively day after day at work. I'm experiencing the same thing you are. Called AppleCare, they acknowledged it in a round about fashion. Reading between the lines I can't help but think that Apples working on it.

My 15" i7 2010 MBP with the Samsung SSD I installed is wicked fast and stutter free.

With some luck perhaps Apple will push out an OS update before long. Everything else about my retina MBP is terrific.