Thinking about selling i5 MBP for i7 Lenovo...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0warmy, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I purchased my MBP about 3 months ago (specs in my sig) for $1,800. I have been looking around craigslist and found that the going rate for this machine with Adobe CS5 Master Collection, MS Office 2008, iWork 09 and iLife 09 is about $1,700-$1,900. I sold my previous 1 year old MBP for $1,700 with all this software about 4 months ago.

Now-a-days I only really use the computer for surfing the web and the occasional Photoshop. I hardly use half the potential this computer encompasses.

At work I use a Windows 7 desktop. And when I work from home I find it difficult/annoying trying to get everything functioning properly when remotely logging into my work PC through my MBP.

I initially planned on using Bootcamp to install Windows 7 but then it got me thinking, why don't I just switch back to Windows and save myself some $$$? I'm impressed with Windows 7 and for what I use the laptop for, Windows would handle anything I need it to do.

I'm considering the Lenovo Y560 laptop with:
    - i7 720QM processor
    - 4GB DDR3
    - 80GB SSD/500GB 5400rpm dual drives
    - ATI Radeon 5730 1GB graphics card
    - 15" LED backlit screen

...Better specs than my MBP for just $950.

Obviously the build quality will lack compared to the MBP but I've always been good about keeping my PC laptops up and running for a long time without overheating or suffering from viruses. (I worked in IT as my previous profession)

Moral of the story is I'm still pretty torn. Have you made a similar move? Are you happy with your decision or do you regret it? why?

Thanks in advance.:)

2. ale500 macrumors regular

That config does not have a 80 GB SSD and has a lower res screen and forget about 4 h battery life (read some reviews). But a quad-core and a better graphics card, and 900 $ less, it is a deal :).

I want also a quad-core machine but a high-res screen at (almost) any cost :). I'll probably go with the Vaio F12 myself because the MacBook Pro of my dreams... is almost 1000 Euro more :( (and I'll have to forget about battery life! :( )

Ops: Now I see where the SSD comes from... but anyways not in the price you quoted...

3. deus ex machina macrumors regular

Does the quad core genuinely have an advantage over the dual core i7?

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Back in April i sold my old 17" iMac to upgrade to a new MBP. (I actually bought the 13" at the time, then sold it 2 weeks ago to get the 15" i7 :D). Before I bought it, though, I found a deal on an HP with an i5 and more "goodies."

Moral of the story: I took it back after 3 days because I just couldn't deal with the crappy battery life, plastic case, and 1.5" thickness. It was a clunker and the MBP is sleek and sexy. ;)

Moral of the story #2: If you really want a Mac, you probably won't be happy with Windows, 7 or any other. However, if you're OS indifferent, 7 is a great OS and would definitely suit you fine. I think the thing you'll miss most, though, is the build quality and battery life. That was my biggest hang up...

5. deus ex machina macrumors regular

I have not actively searched for it, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of "overhead" that Win7 requires (anti-virus, anti-malware, resident tools) against OSX. My main machines are Win7 desktops, but I genuinely enjoy using my MBP. Having owned about 4 laptops in the past (not many for gray bearded hobbyist ;)), I have never been so wowed by the durability, portability and battery life as with my mac.

6. scrace89 macrumors member

I would not suggest a quad core PC, i just had one i7 840, and win7 runs hot doing anything, and when I say hot, the fans run all the time, and on some spots will burn you.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

That depends more on the system, not necessarily the OS.

8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Then why are you looking at a quad core processor laptop with a SSD drive and 1 gig video card?

Get ready for 2-3 hour battery runtimes..

Instal windows on your mac (for your work) and hang onto it for a few years.

Why didn't you keep the 2009 MBP? Already had 1 year's worth of your $$ under the belt...

9. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I have to admit, the build quality does make me a bit nervous. You'd think PC manufacturers would step out of the plastic design from the 90's by now and offer good aluminum laptops.

Well since the SSD was already purchased i consider it a sunk cost so it isn't factored into any of the pricing moving forward. But yeah, the lower resolution screen/decreased battery life would definitely annoy me.

Well, as an IT guy for many years I've learned that the best antivirus programs are actually free (i.e. - Avast! Antivirus). Aside from that, the only things you'd really NEED to purchase would be Office and possibly some Adobe products. However, you'd need to purchase those for the Mac as well. so it's a wash really.

I could go even cheaper on the PC but I like the idea of paying half of what I did for my MBP and not actually gaining hardware performance. Plus I can always buy a 12 cell battery for $120 to help with the battery consumption.

Like you've mentioned, a viable options is just to install Windows 7 in Bootcamp and have the best of both worlds. But the thought of spending even MORE money on the Mac is tough to swallow when I'm starting to believe switching to a Windows PC is a more logical investment anyway.

Especially since I'm sure I can get at least 4 years out of the Lenovo before having to buy a new laptop. In which case, I will have already saved about $900 from selling the MBP so buying a new one at ~$900 would really allow me to break even monetarily while having 8+ years of performance between this Lenovo and whatever I buy 4 years from now.

The 2009 MBP Story: I loved it but HAAAD to have the i5 MBP.:rolleyes: So I put it up on craigslist for $1,800 (same price I paid for it brand new a year prior) with Adobe CS5, Office '08, iWork, iLife etc. and it sold within 3 days for my asking price. I was able to walk into the Apple store with the $1,800 (+tax) and purchase the 2.4GHz i5 15" MBP.:)

So I really only lost about $80 in that deal.

10. deus ex machina macrumors regular

I would rather not enter a credibility contest, but would say that Avast is a middle of the pack product. I would not feel comfortable with superantispyware and a firewall program (assuming I was not operating behind a router already). The question, however was the processor overhead being dedicated to these and other additional applications in the Windows environment. Kudos to MS for developing an OS that can run on such a variety of hardware, but it does suffer inefficiency being all things to all people and having a target painted upon it by nefarious characters.

pax vobiscum,
    david

11. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Use microsoft security essentials for your AV and good luck.

12. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

Remember this when u want to sell your pc gl because you will lose alot of value and wont get anything near what you paid for it. As for the mac it holds a higher resale value.

13. TJones macrumors regular

There are main stream PC makers who offer metal cases but surprise surprise they actually cost real money.

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

What's wrong with plastic?

It might not look so nice, but it doesn't get dented or scratched so easily like a MBP.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Correct, it just cracks and creaks unlike the MBP. ;)

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

Not really. A MBP is much more easy to be damaged. My old $500 is still in perfect shape.

An other m8 of mine has a small dent because he dropped the charger on his MBP. That would do nothing to my old $500 plastic laptop. I did worse things to it.

So I'm really carefull with this machine.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nope, I have the first aluminum 17" Apple Powerbook from 2003, when it was in it's prime I took it to work daily, it's been to the park with me, it's been on train rides to work, I've carried it without a case and not one scratch nor a dent is on mine. I don't buy that argument from anyone here that the aluminum Macs are easy to dent, many people here blatantly admit how they take care of their stuff and these dents people get are generally out of sheer misuse and nothing else.
    And what do you mean by "Not Really", there hasn't been a plastic PC notebook that I've run across that didn't have creaking sounds in the plastic body and yes they do chip and crack with the same amount of abuse as an aluminum Macbook.

18. TJones macrumors regular

Most PC laptops are already ugly to begin with so scratches don't really stand out.

19. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

As TJones said, they're out there, but get ready to pay similar prices to MBPs or higher, in the case of Sony's Signature Series premium laptops. Anyone comparing a laptop under $1k to a $2k MBP isn't comparing apples to apples. Yes, apple is a bit over priced, but windows PC manufacturers have profit margins too. You can't compare a low end PC to a high end MBP and think you're getting the same for less $$. They fool you with fancy specs (processor, RAM, HDD and video card) but give you the shaft in sub-par build quality and materials.

Plastic works for budget options, but doesn't compare to aluminum/similar in terms of quality and longevity (with equal care) when shopping for premium options. My buddy's HP pavilion creaks and cracks worse than his hatchback, and the hinges on the display have almost a full inch of play, so every time you move, the screen flaps back and forth about an inch. Very annoying and irritating when moving about the house or switching positions on the couch, or just trying to get the screen to hold at the right angle. Remember, build quality and materials aren't just nice to have for eye candy, they actually do serve a functional purpose.

20. TijmenDal macrumors member

I would néver get a Mac desktop computer. The price you pay is absolutely ridiculous and they're not all that much better than normal PC's about 1/3rd the price.
    The thing with laptops is they're small, compact, they have a battery. That's why laptops are expensive. When you have a desktop computer, size doesn't matter, so you chuck in whatever big hardware you want.

I'm really happy with my MBP, but if I'd ever get a desktop computer I'd always get a Windows machine (with Ubuntu ofcourse...)

21. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

you have a point, I always have PC desktops (I built it my self) and had also IBM thinkpad for over 10 years replacing them very 3 years.
    this time I bought the 17" mbp very happy with it but miss Win. OS
    so I loaded the WIN 7 too.
    by the way I am finding hear and there things that not working with the Apple OS, so I switch to the WIN 7 side of the mbp and walla I am done.

22. DJ-R macrumors regular

general speaking for me, softwares have it or not. It's not an issue with me. lol if you are thinking about software majorly, you won't be able to find goods prices for computer.