Thinking about selling macbook for imac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chhhrrriiisss, Jun 23, 2009.

1. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I have the previous model of the macbook 13" 2.0ghz 4gb ram. I really want an iMac though. I barely ever leave my house with this and I'd really like the larger screen.

Is it worth it to pop this macbook on ebay and then use the money to buy the cheapest model of iMac with the student discount and free iPod? I'd just sell the iPod touch on ebay to count it as more money off on the iMac.

Let me know some opinions...

2. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

How old is the computer? You can probably get a few hundred out of it, and then also almost full price for the ipod if its unopened, you might have to drop it about 25-50 bucks. If you don't need a portable computer, then the iMac is just flat out gorgeous

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I bought a Macbook black and an external screen several years ago thinking that I would get use out of it both as a desktop and as a laptop, but found like you that I very rarely needed a laptop. I recently sold the macbook and an older external monitor for enough to buy a nice 24" iMac (refurb) and have been very pleased with it; I wouldn't go back. I also bought a cheap netbook for the very few times that I might need a portable, but haven't been anywhere to use it.

EDIT: I sold my 2 year old black Macbook and a Dell 2005fpw monitor for $1300 and got the iMac for only $1049 plus tax, so I actually ended up with money to spare.

4. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

The macbook is only a couple months old. I didn't mean the white macbook. I just meant it isn't the macbook pro version that was just released.

5. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

Then I would say you should definitely sell it for the iMac then. You probably won't be disappointed.

6. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

dont forget about the free printer you can also get ;)

8. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes thank you for the reminder! :D

I'm scared to see how much money I get for this macbook!

9. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

set a reserve price to make sure u get a good amount :p

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I sold mine on craigslist without any of eBay's outrageous fees and no shipping. If I can sell it locally I would much rather do that. I have sold (and bought) many things on eBay but do most everything on CL now.

11. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Id rather do without Ebays fees to but I don't really feel comfortable meeting someone in person to sell.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should consider for offers?

12. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

yikes double post.

Do you guys think $875 is too high or too low?

13. danny_w macrumors 601

I got $1300 for a 2007 black Macbook and 20" Dell display (plus a few accessories) early this year, so if $875 is all you get for an almost new alu MB then something is wrong. If that is all you can get on eBay (minus the fees) then I'd say put it on CL. Yes, you can get more than it is really worth...

14. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright I'm going to pop it on CL just to see what happens.

15. brendu macrumors 68020

i would consider trading it for my august 2007 original alum. imac. too bad i dont live in ct.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Meet them in a safe public place, and insist on cash only. Never a problem conducting business on CL. I think you'd have a better chance on being scammed on ebay.

2. Try going to mac2sell.net and typing in the specifics of your macbook, it will give for a fairly reasonable assessment of your machine. I've been seeing 2009 base unibody macbooks being listed for $900 in my area.

Good luck!

17. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

It doesn't take in consideration of graphics card, so it wasn't very good at valuing my 2 month old nVidia whitebook, it valued it at £490 and I think it just recognised it as one of the older Intel ones. If I was to resale right now for £490, losing more than £200 I would be kinda peeved.

However, that's not to say it doesn't value unibodies well, so you may as well give it a shot.

18. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

The website told me my macbooks worth about $850 but didn't ask about my graphics card.

Craigslist is pretty annoying. I've already gotten like 5 emails from people who want to trade me for a Playstation 3 or a Wii.

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

LOL idiots. I bet it actually works with some people:rolleyes:

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Yeah, you get a lot of scammers too that want you to ship it. Just ignore those and do cash only in person, preferably in a mall or bank or some place public.

21. chhhrrriiisss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't reply but how did they not see that I said I wanted to get an iMac in the description. One guy actually mentioned a PS2 and some games. A freaking PS2!! :eek:

22. will0407 macrumors 6502a

funnily enough I've just done the opposite of you- sold my 24" 2.8ghz imac for the new 13" MBP. I'm planning on buying a screen when I have enough spare cash- the thing that persuaded me was that you can't tell when you'll need the portability, but when you do, you'll be pleased you have it.

I couldn't afford to have a netbook and an imac, so i just went for the MBP.

23. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I, too, did it just the other way around. In October 2008 I sold my 2007 aluminium 24" 2,8GHz iMac for a then brand spanking new aluminium MacBook 2,4GHz. Couldn't have been happier with that decision. I never figured I'd be a laptop person, but I now know I definitely am. I'm also really pleased with the space I've won, as I don't need a desk anymore. I don't even miss the huge screen anymore. If I need a big screen I just hook up my MacBook to my 40" full-HD lcd tv.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

Some people are laptop people and some aren't; I'm definitely not one of them. I can use one when I must, but would much rather not have to do so. For me selling the MB and buying the iMac was a no-brainer.

25. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Howdy,

All I have to say is that Macbooks are laptops and iMacs are desktops. If you rarely leave your house then I would deff go with the iMac. :D