Thinking about selling my 2009 13" and getting a 17" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by louis0nfire, May 11, 2010.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I figure I would get between $800-$900 for my 2.26ghz C2D. The i7 17" would cost me $2279 after student discount and tax.

So upgrading to the 17" i7 will cost me $1,379-$1,479. Although my CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, screen resolution, and screen size will all be improving, I don't know if it's worth it really. I use my 13" right now 95% around my home, so that's my main reason for wanting the upgrade. I have a gaming desktop PC so I really don't need an iMac.

All suggestions and comments are welcome, thanks!

2. 0eyvind macrumors member

You use it around your home: Portability might not be that important, but maybe a 17" is too big for lazy surfing on the couch.
    What do you use your computer for?

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

You're comparing two different machines.

13" portability vs 17" workhouse...you said you mainly use your laptop at home, so it sounds like you don't need the portability??

4. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Hmm...I'm sitting on the couch right now with my 17" MBP and have been all morning.

5. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't need it to be portable, at all. I use my gaming PC for most of my gaming and other stuff, and I use my MacBook (currently) around my house. I usually don't have anything other than tweetdeck, ichat, chrome, and itunes open at once, but I do dual boot in windows for some gaming when I want to play something away from my desk.

I realize the upgrade may be unnecessary for many reasons, but the upgrade in screen size & resolution would be tremendous, the upgrade in RAM and HDD are needed because I was going to upgrade those in my current MBP anyway.